Randy,

Knot DNS doesn't restrict any domain names. The problem you encountered is
related to the presentation format
of the records. If you use kdig for AXFR, some characters are escaped (e.g.
colon), and such a zone file is accepted
by our parser. Obviously, other implementations are more tolerant in this way.
I'm not aware of any rules on this.

Daniel