Greetings,

[snip] I wrote:
This is a combination, in that it is merely orphaned now (after the fact
--  April 22, 2012), but officially killed April 22, 2013. The
differences lie mostly in the announcement and the fact that one is
recognized to be in use while no patches are done (orphaned), while the
other's use is actively frowned upon in the first place and frequently
accompanied by suggestions to upgrade (killed).

Paul P asked and replied:
Well, if no-one fix anything on this version, what will be the
difference between orphan and killed ?
I think as long as there is no RMaint for 3.4, it's EOL, whatever we can
decide ! if someone want to keep it updated, then apply to be 3.4 RMaint !

Yes, effectively EOL is EOL regardless of what we name it. However, the naming difference does distinguish our attitude towards it. 'Orphaned' would mean we can expect people to still be using it. It's for stragglers who haven't caught up version-wise. 'Killed' means we don't want people using that version anymore. We won't support them. They should have upgraded by now. A much harsher attitude.

I don't believe we can expect libraries to upgrade every year, despite the 6 month cycle making it a good idea. 'Orphaned' deals with setting our expectations and trying to be considerate of the realities out there.

What does that mean for Koha Developers? Nothing, "Orphaned" = "Killed" = "EOL". They'll be spending their time on the latest stable releases (eg. 3.8.3 and 3.6.7). What does it mean for Koha Users? They don't have to feel locked in, because of our 6 month release schedule. They have a year breathing room. It will cost half as much annually to upgrade, because they'll be slack and upgrade every two years (unless a major bug comes along and they don't have the budget to get it fixed).

GPML,
Mark Tompsett