At 04:41 PM 8/22/2012 -0300, Tomas Cohen Arazi wrote:
[snip]
> The tarball has always worked extremely well on i386 machines -- I just get the impression (not proven) that Ubuntu 12.04 gets its knickers in a twist on AMD64. Â But with a little time and effort workarounds can be found. Â Probably nothing wrong, just new quirks, with either Ubuntu or Koha, but I do not need to be under pressure for the production upgrade.

is not a 12.04 problem, is a problem with the specific file you're using with dpkg, which lists some files not available anymore on 12.04. As Mark said that file has already been patched and its waiting for inclusion on next release.

Thanks for the reply. But, as you say, "its waiting for inclusion on next release" so it's broken in this release.

That said, you can do a clean install using the instructions and ommiting that --set-selections step. And installing the dependencies by hand. As Mark also said.

More or less what I've done -- but it would not be rocket science to edit install_misc/ubuntu.packages to avoid a certain amount of grief (and before anyone asks "well why don't you do it?" I will as soon as I'm certain that my experience is reproducible and bullet-proof. It may involve looking at the upstream .pl file to see how the list is invoked.)

I also use the tarball in our deployment (38 instances on a single BIG server) without issues.

I'm only trying a test install on relatively BIG server (64-bit, 6 core Intel i7-980X, solid state raided drives, 16Gb ram), mileage varies...

 Besides that i386 packages pull which I reported and has been solved.

When, where, how? I had to 'sudo apt-get purge .*:i386' for about 50 dependencies in the pull in koha-3.08.04.tar.gz

Anyway, I think we should go back to what your original problem was. Is your incremental indexing working?

That was 3.8.3, now trashed, but it never worked -- I'll try it on a 3.8.4 install as soon as I'm away from this machine.

Have you properly set your sax parser? [snip]

Yes.

Best - P.

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>