<wise-old-man mode ON>

Koha v1.x has no MARC support. In fact, it was the first FRBR compliant software ever, long before FRBR exist... (who says Open Source is not innovative :D )

More explanation: in Koha v1, you had to enter a minimal biblio description (title, author(s), subject(s)) THEN one or more expression of the work (one large print, one readed book, one pocket, ...), THEN the different items. Very efficient and handy.

When I wrote the MARC code, I had to break this 3 level management (MARC has only 2 levels, biblio and items).

In Koha 2.0, you had the option to stay "basic" of "marc" cataloguing. It has been removed in Koha ??? (2.2 or 3.0 ?), only MARC cataloguing remained.

At this time biblioitems table became useless/should have been merged, but no one coded/hacked it. But yes, it can be removed (unless we want to keep it for future advanced support of FRBR :D )

<wise-old-man mode OFF>