Amy Schuler <schul...@caryinstitute.org>
> Dear catalogers using Koha,
>
> I am using koha v. 3.06.04.000.  I am having trouble getting file paths to
> work for digital items stored locally.  Using MARC Tag 856, first indicator
> value 4, $u, with file path something like
> file://mylocalserver/blahblah<file:///\\mylocalserver\blahblah>... does not
> work.  There is just no action in the browser whatsoever.  It seems this is
> because that tagging and indicator combination invoke the HTTP protocol which
> is not actually being used here.  I read in the MARC documentation that what
> I really want to use for locally stored files is first indicator value 7 and
> $2.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Koha supports $2 (only a bunch of
> the letter subfields).
>
> Has anyone figured this out?  Or feel free to point out other issues I may be
> overlooking.

Two ideas:

1. do many things understand the host-form of file:// links?  I know
it's in RFC 3986, but I only remember the file:///blahblah form working
in the wild.

2. where is the action and what does "View Source..." around it look like?

I think the line in opac-detail.tt is

          [% IF ( itemdata_uri ) %]<td class="url"><a href="[% ITEM_RESULT.uri
%]">[% ITEM_RESULT.uri %]</a></td>[% END %]

and that gets fed things from opac-detail.pl

                     itemdata_uri            => $itemfields{uri},

which itself comes from a call to GetItemsInfo in C4::Items
which I think is just returning whatever came in the SELECT from
mysql, so I don't see how this could be going wrong... anyone?

Hope that explains,