Welcome to the Koha community, Margaret.

You won't want to 'move' your journals from the catalogue - they'll need to be there for searching and reference. The serials module refers to records already in the catalogue and is used to keep track of serials-related actions (like receiving the current issue, or maintaining a routing list). The manual has a chapter on this:
http://translate.koha-community.org/manual/3.20/en/html-desktop/#serials
and an implementation guide:
http://translate.koha-community.org/manual/3.20/en/html-desktop/#impserials

I hope this is helpful.