There are examples of how to use that function in the Koha SQL reports library:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/SQL_Reports_Library#Catalog.2FBibliographic_Reports

If using version 17.05 you need to be aware that the location of the stored MARC XML data has changed. Refer to the Release Notes for that version.

Bob Birchall
Calyx