Hi Michael,

ah ok, that was a local change then?

Because it looks like it has always been tinyint:

https://git.koha-community.org/Koha-community/Koha/src/branch/master/installer/data/mysql/kohastructure.sql#L3015

https://git.koha-community.org/Koha-community/Koha/src/branch/18.11.x/installer/data/mysql/kohastructure.sql#L932

https://git.koha-community.org/Koha-community/Koha/src/branch/3.2.x/installer/data/mysql/kohastructure.sql#L994

varchar should work on database side, I am not aware of a code side
check, but there could be one. Anything helpful in the logs maybe?

Maybe worth checking if deleteditems was altered as well.

Katrin

On 06.10.21 21:39, Michael Kuhn wrote:
Hi Katrin

> 952$j is mapped to items.stack by default that has the datatype
> tinyint(1) in the database. A common problem I have encountered here
> is that it won't save when you try to store something non-numeric or
> outside the range of tinyint. Could that be the issue?

Yes, this would indeed be a problem... Thank you very much for the hint!

Our library was working with Koha 18.11 before - where it was possible
to store content like "m011577".

Looking into http://schema.koha-community.org/18_11/tables/items.html
shows that in this version the datatype was BIT(0) which seems to mean
mean "tinyint". In my Koha 21.05 demo installation I see it actually
is "tinyint".

However when asking the actual Koha 21.05 library database the
datatype is given as "varchar"!

So it seems like someone has unscrupulously changed the datatype of
this field in the past (a very bad idea). But then again - shouldn't
the database accept value "m011577" when the datatype is "varchar"? At
least in Koha 18.11 it seems to have worked.

I was able to successfuilly insert "011577". But not "m011577". Is
there maybe a script that checks if the values are of the correct
datatype when trying to store anything in the database? Maybe the guy
responsible for this problem also changed the datatype in such a script?

Best wishes: Michael