Hi Nigel,

My solution for that is simple two step process:

1) using mod_sec to monitor and match the UA string of the incoming request
against a list of UAs I don't want and return a HTTP 406 if the UA matches
for the first time.

2) Have fail2ban monitor the apache log for 406 and immediately ban the IP
(IPv4 / IPv6) for 96 hours using an apache-badbots jail.

This strategy has so far managed to keep my servers "cool".

cheers
-idg