"We are stretched very thin at this particular time,"
Defense Secretary William S. Cohen said...

----- Original Message -----
From: Press Service <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 4:00 PM
Subject: U.S. Will Offer Logistics Support to Congo Mission

By Linda D. Kozaryn
American Forces Press Service

PRETORIA, Republic of South Africa, Feb. 16, 2000 -- Once
there is a peace agreement in the Democratic Republic of
the Congo, the United States is willing to provide
logistics support for a U.N. peace mission, but it has no
plans to contribute ground forces.

"We are stretched very thin at this particular time,"
Defense Secretary William S. Cohen said at a Feb. 16 joint
press conference with host South African leaders. The
secretary was referring to U.S. troops deployed to Bosnia,
Kosovo, the Persian Gulf, East Timor, and other U.S. troop
commitments in Europe and Asia.

Cohen said he expects the U.N. Security Council within a
week will authorize deployment of a 500-strong cease-fire
observer group and 5,000 support troops to the republic,
formerly known as Zaire. The U.N.-led Lusaka peace process
calls for a three-phase mission.

Phase 1 calls for the United States to contribute $40
million, one-quarter of the cost of the first six months of
the mission. Phase 2 involves deploying the 500 observers
and 5,000 international troops. Phase 3 involves deploying
a 15,000-strong peacekeeping force.

Once there is a "genuine peace agreement," Cohen said, the
United States would provide support in the form of
logistics, communications, intelligence and other support
activities similar to those provided to the U.N.
peacekeeping operation in East Timor.

Visiting South Africa to build military cooperation, Cohen
met with South African President Thabo Mbeki, Defense
Minister Patrick Lekota and former President Nelson
Mandela. Cohen said his meetings centered on peacekeeping
training, future joint combined exchange training exercises
and other common concerns. He also discussed with the South
African leaders the goal of transforming its military into
a smaller, more modern force.

"The United States has been in the process of a similar
transformation for some time," Cohen told reporters. "A
U.S. team will be in South Africa next week to discuss some
of the lessons that we learned and ways that we might be
able to help South Africa make this very difficult
transition."

The secretary announced at the press conference that the
United States would send water purification equipment and
teams to eastern South Africa to provide safe drinking
water to victims of recent disastrous floods. He also
offered to send a team of experts in health education and
training to help South African defense forces address the
problem of AIDS.

##END##

NOTE: This is a plain text version of a web page.
If your mail program did not properly format this
information, current News Articles are online at
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/#News Articles