----- Original Message -----
From: MR JAVIER BERNAL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 1:12 PM
Subject: THE MINISTER FOR THE DEFENCE ADMITS. Ekstra Bladet, Printed sept.
27. 99

STOP NATO: NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.HOME-PAGE.ORG

Ekstra Bladet, Printed sept. 27. 99:
THE MINISTER FOR THE DEFENCE ADMITS.
BY BO ELKJÆR AND KENAN SEEBERG

"Denmark participates in a global surveillance system," admitted the
Minister for the Defense Hans Hækkerup under heavy pressure. As one of
the first governments in the clandestine Western intelligence cooperation,
Hækkerup acknowledged during a joint council in the Danish Parliament's
Europe Committee last Friday that the FE (Intelligence Agency of the
Danish Armed Forces) participates in the interception of electronic
communication.

Does this occur in cooperation with the NSA, which manages the so-called
Echelon?
"I can't confirm that, but I can tell you that the FE has been intercepting
signals ever since the Second World War - and we're still doing it."

Can you confirm that this takes place at Aflandshage on the island of
Amager?
"Yes, it does, and the facilities out there have been continuously expanded
over the years. We both collect and process information from satellites. "

Is this cooperation in compliance with the law?
"Yes, it is." The Minister for Defense was summoned to a joint council by
parliament member Keld Albrechtsen who was quite astonished by the
Minister's admissions. Up to now, the ministries of Defense, Justice and
Research have actually denied any knowledge of the controversial global
surveillance systems. The Minister stated that such satellite systems exist
and that Denmark is included in them, but that this system is not called
Echelon. He also stated that we have the capacity to collect and exchange
information with the intelligence agencies of other countries.

Do you have any guarantee that Danish citizens are not being illegally
monitored and registered?
"No, unfortunately." He evaded the question of whether the law is obeyed in
regards to the cooperation with the secret services of other countries. So
this system provides no guarantee for the security of life and property for
the
ordinary citizen. He also to refused to go into detail on the question of
whether the operations occur in cooperation with other countries. Another
parliament member of the Europe Committee, Knud Erik Hansen, asked at
the meeting if the facilities also spied on the commercial satellites, i.e.
the
ones that transmit signals like telephone conversations.
He unfortunately evaded that question, too, but now the Minister for Justice
must be brought to order so he can assure us that both private and
commercial communication is not being monitored illegally.

COPYRIGHT 1999: EKSTRA BLADET - COPENHAGEN, DENMARK