Sindyanna of Galilee
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax: 972-3-6839148

Invitation to the Olive Harvest:
A Voluntary Work Camp (November 3-6)

The olive season for the year 2000 is at hand.
The harvest in our area will begin in the fall. Thousands of farmers and
their families will go out to gather the fruit and bring it to the oil
presses. The annual harvest is a central event in the life of the Arab
village, a symbol of the steadfast connection to the land.
Sindyanna of Galilee is a non-profit association devoted to fostering
olive production in the Arab sector. As in previous years, we are
organizing a work camp for the harvest, inviting volunteers to join. The
purpose is to acquaint the wider public with the traditions of this
major event. The camp will also help Sindyanna  to improve the
production and the marketing of qualified olive oil.
We shall hold the camp at Rameh village in Galilee. (The village is
located off Route 864, near its junction with Route 85 [the Akko-Zefat
road].) Work will begin on Friday, November 3, and the camp will
continue until Monday, November 6. Whoever is able to do so may remain
until the end of the harvest on November 18. The volunteers will receive
a place to sleep and full board. Work will commence at dawn each day,
continuing until sunset (from about 7 a.m. until about 5 p.m.).
Participants will include men, women, and youth from the surrounding
villages, as well as people from more distant places such as Tel Aviv
and Jerusalem – even from Europe and Japan.
The volunteers will see an instructional film and receive a
comprehensive explanation from Sindyanna's agronomist, who will focus on
the olive industry in the Arab sector. In the evenings we shall hold
social gatherings and political discussions.
 If you come from outside the area and wish to join the camp, please
contact us by return  e-mail before October 15. We would like you to
introduce yourself and to state how many days you can work.
Bring with you: A sleeping bag (with a mattress, if you have one), a
hat, a towel, toiletries, a change of clothes, work shoes.

In addition to our e-mail address and fax, you may contact our main
office: 03-6834627 or Hadas Lahav at 050-848244.

HARVEST1.doc