Workers' Party of Belgium
==================
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.wpb.be

Five elected councillors for the Workers Party of Belgium at the local
elections.

The result of the local elections of October 8, 2000 is a remarkable
success, which goes beyond our hopes.
Two doctor/trade-unionist pairs in Herstal (Liege) and Zelzate (Gent) and a
doctor in Hoboken (Antwerp). The results of the list PTB+ (WPB) there are
respectively 7,21%, 12,79% and 6,77%. The five elected town councillors are:
Frans Van Acoleyen, doctor for the people, elected for the PTB+ in Zelzate
(Gent); Dirk Goemaere, shop steward in Belgacom (telecom), formerly in
Sidmar (steel-works), elected for the PTB+ in Zelzate; Johan Vandepaer,
doctor for the people, elected for the PTB+ in Herstal; Nadia Moscufo, shop
steward in Aldi (supermarket), elected for the PTB+ in Herstal and Mie
Branders, doctor for the people, elected for the PTB+ in Hoboken.
In 1994, only one PTB councillor was elected.

In Genk (Limburg), we progress by 20% in comparison with the previous
elections in 94 and with 140 votes more,  doctor Harrie Dewitte would have
been elected. If the electoral system was really democratic, with her 880
votes,  doctor Claire Geraerts would have been elected in Schaerbeek
(Brussels) and Kris Merckx in Antwerp.
Zohra Otman and Renate D'Hoker conquered their 2.3% of the votes in
Borgerhout (Antwerp) by leading the struggle of the inhabitants against the
plague of rats, which have appeared as a consequence of the waste policy of
the ruling coalition in Antwerp. The elections are just over but the
struggle for wage increases and the restoration of purchasing power carries
on. In spite of a sleepless night, Nadia Moscufo was at the strike picket of
the public bus company in Liege the morning after the elections . Dirk
Goemare was at the gate of Sidmar. Our councillors will be in the High Court
in  Brussels for the defence of the Clabecq union
representatives, whose trial begins again on Monday October 16.
On our website ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) you can consult the results of the WPB in the
local elections and reactions of our elected representatives (in French or
in Dutch).