From: NY Transfer News <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:58:35 -0500 (EST)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [CubaNews] New Website to Document CIA on Campus!

Via NY Transfer News * All the News That Doesn't Fit

February 14, 2001

   NEW WEBSITE INAUGURATED TO DOCUMENT CIA ACTIVITIES ON CAMPUS

Public Information Research (PIR) has inaugurated a new website on NY
Transfer's servers to document the activities of the CIA on colleges
and universities:  www.cia-on-campus.org.

Public Information Research, a non-profit research organization, is well
known to scholars, activists and spy-watchers worldwide for its NameBase
database and website at www.pir.org. Namebase is a unique repository of
historical information and commentary on the interlocking web of the power
elite.

Public Information Research is inviting contributions to their new site. The
following is from PIR's announcement of www.cia-on-campus.org:

                            CIA-ON-CAMPUS.ORG

During the 1970s and 1980s, we collected a fair amount of material about the
CIA on campus. The movement peaked in 1969, 1977, and 1987, but by 1993 had
subsided. Unfortunately, this was several years too early for the Internet,
and almost all of the material we collected exists only on paper. Some of
it is turning yellow by now.

It amazed us that we found so little online about this topic. PIR feels that
past efforts need to be preserved and made available. Our current collection
of material is a good place to start. We plan to contact the authors of this
material, and request permission to digitize their articles and post them on
this site. We've worked with many of these authors in the past. One major
focus of this site, therefore, will be historical preservation.

Another purpose will be to encourage further research and contributions from
faculty and students, whether signed or anonymous. We will use separate
directories for all campus-specific content, and someday those coming into
the site from an ".edu" domain will automatically start with the material
that is most relevant to them. If we don't have anything about their campus,
then they will land on a generic page. While navigation across the entire
site will always be available, this redirection feature should encourage
students and faculty to contribute material, or to design pages for their
campus.  (Any new material will be subject to fact-checking and editing by
us before we post it, and we like simple pages with no more than a handful
of GIFs.)

Cia on Campus is still in its infancy; we expect to be developing the site
for at least a year. So drop us a line if you have any ideas. (Just send
e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]) With your help, we can get this site up
to speed more quickly. Ask your campus librarian or archivist if they
remember any articles on this topic. If you find something, let us know.
Regardless of how old it is, if it's substantive and relevant then it
belongs on this site. You can help us further by securing permission for us
to post it, and/or transcribing it into digital form for us. --Public
Information Research

Visit the CIA on Campus website at: http://www.cia-on-campus.org, or just
click on "CIA on Campus" from NY Transfer's homepage at www. blythe. org

Contact us at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  NY Transfer News Collective   *   A Service of Blythe Systems
            Since 1985 - Information for the Rest of Us
                339 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012
  http://www.blythe.org                  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details