NATO Parliamentary Assembly Press Release
----

Transatlantic Solidarity in the Bush Era
Brussels, 13 February 2001

----

Members of the (NATO PA) will meet in Brussels
from Sunday February 18 to Tuesday February 20 for a wide ranging review of
contentious US-European issues and how these could affect the NATO Alliance.

The issues of current US-Europe concern include the new European Rapid
Reaction Force, US plans for a national missile defense system(NMD) now
reinforced by the Bush administration, the seriousness of the depleted
uranium issue, the next round of NATO enlargement and the various trade
issues which aggravate transatlantic relations.

PRESS CONFERENCE
Monday 19 February at 17.00
NATO Headquarters (Joseph Luns Press Theatre)
President of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, Rafael Estrella(Spain)

The three day series of meetings and briefings will be held at NATO HQ.,
the Council of the European Union and the European Commission.

Referring to the current state of the transatlantic relationship, Mr.
Douglas Bereuter (Rep. Nebraska), head of the United States House of
Representatives delegation to the NATO PA and member of the House
International Relations Committee said that "their is a growing division in
understanding between the United States and our European allies and I think
the worst is yet to come.

Commenting on the timeliness of the forthcoming NATO PA meetings the new
President of the NATO PA, Mr. Rafael Estrella, said We should take the
opportunity at the outset of the new Bush administration to make a fresh
and honest re-appraisal of issues which could prove divisive in US-European
relations".

----

Background: The NATO Parliamentary Assembly, founded in 1955 with a
Brussels-based secretariat, brings together 214 national parliamentarians
from the 19 NATO countries. Associate delegations from 17 nations also
participate in most Assembly activities and meetings.

----

Further information: please contact Keith Williams on (32 )02 504 8151 or
(32)02 513 2865 or FAX (32)02 514 1847 or e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]