----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Rozoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 11:00 PM
Subject: Von Ribbentrop Gets Chilly Welcome In Moscow [STOPNATO.ORG.UK]

STOP NATO: NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Get low APR NextCard VISA, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Receive approval decision in 30 seconds
3. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing
   APR and no annual fee!
                  Apply NOW!

http://on.linkexchange.com/?ATID=27&AID=2269

[The comparison with Hitler's foreign minister seems unavoidable. The
latter also came to Moscow promising peace - and within five years over
twenty million Russians were killed....Note the timing of the Chinese
miltary leader's arrival....Robertson has the gall to openly state that
"NATO was not engaged n that particular activity" referring to the
recent bombing of Baghdad, when the two mainstays of NATO - the U.S. and
UK - were the perpetrators, and Robertson is a citizen and
representative of the second of the two. Luckily, it appears that
Russia, unlike sixty years ago, isn't being fooled.]

Tuesday, February 20 5:40 AM SGT
NATO chief's Moscow visit clouded by expansion, US missile defense
MOSCOW, Feb 19 (AFP) -
NATO chief George Robertson arrived in Moscow late Monday for a visit
aimed at warming relations but expected to yield little progress in the
dispute over enlargement and US plans for a missile shield.
Billed as a further reconciliation between NATO and Russia following the
1999 war in Kosovo, the two-day visit will also bring talks on stepping
up nuclear defense of both Russia and the NATO bloc.
"We want to build a crisis-resistant relationship, in which we can talk
about all our views, and I think we're well on the way of achieving
that," Robertson said upon arrival.
The NATO chief told reporters that he was bringing with him a package of
proposals on measures of nuclear defense, and that he was looking
forward to Russian reaction to those.
Robertson also distanced the alliance from the recent US-British air
strikes on Iraq, which had sparked Russian anger, saying that "NATO was
not engaged in that particular activity, so it should not spoil" the
relations between Moscow and NATO.
Robertson's visit will provide President Vladimir Putin with the
opportunity to state his case against membership for the Baltic states
in the alliance.
Robertson, who will be meeting with Putin, Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov
and Defense Minister Igor Sergeyev, served notice ahead of his arrival
that the 19-member military bloc he represents will not be dissuaded
from taking in new members from inside the old "Iron Curtain".
"I know that Russia has reservations on what it sees as the eastern
expansion of NATO. But I do not believe that any expansion or any
enlargement of NATO threatens to upset the existing balance," he told
ITAR-TASS.
Moscow has been hostile to the idea of the three Baltic republics of
Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania -- which were part of the former Soviet
Union -- joining the fold of NATO, which was established in April 1949
to defend the West against aggression from Moscow.
Since welcoming Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic into the alliance
in 1999, NATO has begun examining the membership applications of nine
other central and eastern European countries, including the three Baltic
states.
Against the backdrop of difficult talks with his Russian hosts,
Robertson will ceremoniously reopen a NATO information office that
Moscow closed down in fury at the 11-week NATO bombing of Yugoslavia
that began in March 1999.
A military liaison office could also start to function again within a
few months.
But all the bonhomie in the world will not disguise the fact that Russia
and NATO are at loggerheads over a range of issues, commented Viktor
Kremenyuk, deputy director of the USA-Canada Institute.
"It is good that this visit of Robertson is taking place but I do not
believe it can yield any important results as Moscow's and NATO's aims
are entirely opposed.
"Moscow is against the enlargement of NATO and NATO just does not stop
expanding. Russia will never join it because it is not being invited (to
do so) and will never be," Kremenyuk added.
Washington's determination under the new administration of President
George W. Bush to press ahead with a national missile defence (NMD)
system in violation of the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty has also
raised the temperature.
Russia, which knows that the United States' European allies are much
less enthusiastic about the US initiative, intends to use the talks with
Robertson to repeat its rival proposal for the European Union and NATO
to join forces with it and set up a joint anti-missile shield.
Meanwhile, in a four-day visit that will coincide with Robertson's,
General Zhang Wannian, deputy head of China's highest military body the
Central Military Commission, was also to arrive in Moscow late Monday.
Like Russia, China is strongly opposed to the NMD project, regarding it
as a strategic threat despite Washington's assurances that it is
intended to repel attacks by hostile states.
Zhang on Sunday held talks in Beijing with German Defense Minister
Rudolf Scharping, and German diplomatic sources in Beijing said the NMD
issue featured on the agenda.
Berlin is also wary of the 'Son of Star Wars' project, and during a
visit to Moscow last month Scharping lent support to Russia's
affirmation that the shield would violate the ABM treaty.