----- Original Message -----
From: Frida Berrigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <undisclosed-recipients: ;>
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 7:36 PM
Subject: U.S. Paramilitaries Widen the War in Colombia

February 27, 2001

Dear Friends,

Colombian President Andres Pastrana is in Washington today to meet with
President Bush. Below in an op-ed being circulated by our friends at
Foreign Policy in Focus. A longer version of same is posted on their
website at
http://www.foreignpolicy-infocus.org/commentary/0102colombia.html

Thanks,

Frida

==================
==================

U.S. "PARAMILITARIES" WIDEN THE WAR IN COLOMBIA

By Frida Berrigan, World Policy Institute

President Bush worries that the "United States might become militarily
engaged" in Colombia. It's a little late for that. While official U.S.
soldiers and airmen try to avoid the appearance of armed engagement,
U.S. paramilitaries-private sector warriors under contract to the
Pentagon-were involved in an exchange of fire between FARC guerillas and
Colombian police last week. It's all part of U.S. long term military
plans in the region-even if George W. Bush hasn't figured them out yet.

Whether they are called paramilitaries, mercenaries or private military
advisers, they are certainly an integral part of the growing U.S.
involvement in the war in Colombia. The February 18 exchange of fire
between FARC guerrillas and Colombian police, which involved a DynCorp
Search and Rescue helicopter flown by M-16 toting Americans, made the
depth of U.S. engagement obvious for the first time since Congress voted
yes on Plan Colombia-the $1.3 billion aid package-eight months ago.

DynCorp, based in Reston, Virginia, is the largest of a growing number
of private military corporations. It boasts $1.4 billion in contracts a
year-95% with the U.S. government-and has 30 personnel in Colombia,
mostly pilots and mechanics for helicopters and fumigation planes.  The
incident, in which the DynCorp helicopter rescued the pilot amid what
one Colombian police officer described as a "shower of bullets,"
highlighted the presence of U.S. civilians in the conflict region. In
the last two years at least six U.S. private military corporations have
set up offices in Bogota, positioning themselves to receive aid package
dollars and raising serious questions about accountability and
transparency. While American soldiers in Colombia are under strict
orders to avoid entering combat areas or joining military operations,
employees of DynCorp and other private corporations face no such
restrictions and are not required to report to the Pentagon or
Congress.

Many, including former Drug Czar Barry McCaffrey, are in favor of this
arrangement. McCaffrey says, "I am unabashedly an admirer of
outsourcing. There's very few things in life you can't outsource."
Proponents of outsourcing say it is cheaper and helps avoid the public
outrage over U.S. troops being sent home in body bags. DynCorp lost
three pilots in three years in Colombia and hardly anyone noticed. By
contrast, when five active duty American soldiers were killed in a spy
plane crash in the Colombian jungle, the incident occupied the front
page for days. "It is very handy to have an outfit not part of the U.S.
Armed Forces, obviously. If someone gets killed, or whatever," you can
say he's not a soldier, said Myles Frenchette, former U.S. ambassador to
Colombia.

The U.S. allocation of almost $120 million to renovate and upgrade air
bases in El Salvador, Ecuador, and the Caribbean is another sign of the
escalating U.S. military operations in the region. The FARC called it a
"declaration of war." A recent Washington Post article exposed U.S.
expansion of the Ecuadorian air base, which is home to 150 military
advisers, mechanics, and crew. By summer 2001 the base will be able to
accommodate surveillance planes and over 400 personnel. This was news to
many, including members of Congress like Arizona Senator John McCain,
who confessed, "We're upgrading a base in Ecuador, which I found
out-perhaps I shouldn't admit this-by looking at a newspaper."

Base expansion also has ramifications for Colombia's neighbors. The
mayor of an Ecuadorian border town said "If Colombia is going to be
another Vietnam, then Ecuador is going to become the Cambodia. We are
being dragged into the conflict against our will."

Plan Colombia, complete with private military actors, base expansions,
and military training programs, epitomizes what President Bush recently
called "our ugly American problem." Bush could use his meeting with
Pastrana to develop an alternative Plan Colombia that provided resources
for sustainable development, humanitarian assistance, and judicial and
civil institutions, as a way of concretely and proactively addressing
the challenges Colombia faces. Otherwise, military expansion-whether
private or official U.S. army-seems inevitable.

Frida Berrigan
Research Associate,
World Policy Institute
66 Fifth Ave., 9th Floor