4) GM Forces Crisis in Soutrh Korea
    by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 5) Report from the EZLN Caravan
    by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 6) Chattanooga 3 Get Suspended Sentences
    by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the March 15, 2001
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

260 AUTO WORJKERS ARRESTED: GM FORCES CRISIS IN
SOUTH KOREA
Daewoo Unionists Call for International Solidarity

By Gloria La Riva
Inchon, south Korea

When 400 fired Daewoo autoworkers and about 30 of their
family members gathered outside the gates of the Pupyong
plant here on March 7, they were met by a wall of 3,000 riot
police. Hundreds of cops were stationed at every entrance to
the giant industrial complex, every street corner, every
subway stop.

The company had announced that the plant, after having been
closed for a month by a strike and sit-in, would be reopened
on this day. The plant had earlier been occupied by
thousands of strikers, who carried out a long sit-in in sub-
freezing weather hoping to keep the company from eliminating
their jobs.

But the police had already stormed the plant and forced out
1,700 strikers in preparation for its reopening. Now 400 of
the fired holdouts were back, confronting almost 10 times as
many cops. Before the day was over, 260 of them had been
arrested and the plant was back in operation.

The Daewoo struggle has great significance for the labor
movement in the United States. These workers, who have put
their bodies on the line, have been forced into this fight
because General Motors is bidding to take over the Korean
auto company. It is demanding that first the current owners
cut costs by trimming the work force. Already Daewoo has
laid off 7,000 out of the 18,000 workers formerly in its
employ.

If GM's strategy succeeds, it will only whet the auto
giant's appetite for concessions from all its workers,
including here in the United States.

The Korean Confederation of Trade Unions has been organizing
solidarity rallies at Daewoo, bringing in workers from other
industries to show support.

The strike leader is Kim Il-Sup, 37, and his picture appears
on wanted posters all over this town. He and a handful of
other strike leaders are living in tents in the parking lot
of a church near the plant. The cops can't touch them as
long as they stay on church property.

A delegation from the International Action Center in the
United States met with the strike leaders on the day that
the plant reopened. Kim Il-Sup told them what had happened,
and said that morale was still high. He explained that even
if the workers had not been fired, their futures would be
dim because of the GM takeover.

The union had offered concessions to the company, like
cutting hours so that workers would not have to be laid off,
but the company had rejected their offer.

"The workers inside and outside should unite to fight
capital," said Kim, referring to the 3,000 workers who had
returned to their jobs. "Otherwise, those inside may be put
in the same fate as us. We should fight together."

Daewoo has three main plants in south Korea. The workers
believe that General Motors has a plan to buy only two of
them, and close down Pupyong.

Brian Becker of the IAC told Kim that this was not an
isolated strike. "It revolves around the issue of
restructuring demanded by the International Monetary Fund.
The south Korean government is trying to make this a model
case in order to attract foreign capital.

"Daewoo has become a test case for all south Korean unions.
If you are defeated, all labor will be in a defensive
position. This heroic sitdown strike has won the support of
working people everywhere who are fighting against
globalization. If we do not resist and fight, we cannot win.
So even if it's a difficult struggle, it's the only path
open to the working class."

Becker said that his organization would call for support for
the embattled Daewoo workers from unions in the U.S.

[Editor's note: GM's board of directors met in Detroit the
day before the 260 workers were arrested in Inchon. They
refused to say whether the auto giant would continue in its
efforts to buy Daewoo, thereby increasing pressure on the
Korean company to resolve the struggle with the workers. The
next day, as the 260 workers were being arrested, South
Korean President Kim Dae-Jung was in Washington meeting with
President George W. Bush. On March 9 he is scheduled to meet
with GM Chair Jack Smith in Chicago.]

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)