.
[Via Communist Internet... http://www.egroups.com/group/Communist-Internet ]
----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Rozoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 11:18 PM
Subject: US Sixth Fleet, Marines Stage "Kosovo Rehearsal" [WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK]

Visit our website: HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

Sixth Fleet Marines to banner US commitment

Thursday, 16 August 2001 17:40 (ET)

Sixth Fleet Marines to banner US commitment
By RICHARD TOMKINS
WASHINGTON, Aug. 16 (UPI) -- U.S. Marines assigned to
the Navy's Sixth Fleet are staging a Kosovo deployment
rehearsal to underline U.S. and NATO resolve to
maintain peace in the region and show ability to
reinforce troops already on the ground there, the
Pentagon said Thursday.
 The Marines -- about 700 from the 24th Marine
Expeditionary Unit -- have embarked aboard three ships
in the Mediterranean area for the exercise that begins
next week and will last several weeks.
 The deployment rehearsal is not connected to the
situation in Macedonia or Kosovo, the Pentagon said,
but is a regular training event.
 "The main objective is to validate strategic,
operational and tactical concepts for the deployment
of the U.S. component to the NATO strategic reserve
force," Quigley said.
 "The deployment demonstrates NATO resolve to maintain
a secure environment and deter external aggression."
 According to U.S. European Command, based in Germany,
the Marines during the exercise will support the U.S.
contingent in Kosovo peacekeeping and will conduct
training missions in support of their peacekeeping
operations.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/