From: Rick Rozoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 2:22 AM
Subject: Turkish Workers Fight Back Against IMF

 The Irish Times
 Tuesday, September 4, 2001

 "Our struggle is about more than the right to work. It
 is about the right to have free thought in trade
 unions, to have free talk on the rights of workers.
 But the more the IMF and World Bank control our
 country the more our rights are going backwards."

 Disillusioned workers in Turkey fight for rights

 Turkish workers are fighting back after IMF economic
 intervention, Kitty Holland
 reports from Istanbul
 TURKEY: One of the more painful human sides of
 Turkey's current economic crisis is to be found
 outside the Aymosan shoe factory in the eastern area
 of Istanbul. About 245 workers were laid off without
 notice on May 3rd, having worked without pay for three
 months.

 Since then, 76 workers have been protesting in shifts
 outside the factory, demanding first that they be told
 what is happening to the factory and whether it will
 be re-opened and, more importantly that they be
 reinstated in their jobs.

 Mr Turan Ekinci, the spokesman at the makeshift camp,
 says the workers turned up on the morning of May 3rd
 to find the doors locked.

 "Our boss just told us to go away, that our jobs were
 gone," he says, sitting shaded from the blistering
 mid-afternoon sunshine.

 " 'You are not going to get any money.' They didn't
 tell us if the factory is going to open again. They
 didn't tell us anything."

 The 76 protestors are members of the Deri-is trade
 union. One of their long-term aims is full recognition
 of trade unions and negotiating rights. The country's
 economic crisis, which has seen a workforce largely
 unprotected by labour legislation badly hit, began in
 February.

The government sent the Turkish lira into freefall then
 by abandoning the controlled currency regime after
 three days of market turmoil. The regime had been the
 centrepiece of an IMF-backed reform-package, and the
 move sent interest rates soaring to over 5,000 per
 cent.

 In late May the IMF responded with a decision seen by
 many as a reward for failure with an agreement to
 extend the country's credit to $19 billion (£16
 billion). It makes Turkey the IMF's largest debtor.

 The effect, as far as Mr Ekinici is concerned, has
 been that "one person can come and throw us out and
 not even talk to us about it".

 It also means, he says, that the government is less
 likely than ever to reform labour legislation, to
 afford workers the right to join trade unions or
 indeed to ease the almost total clampdown on any
 voices of dissent in the country.

 Though GDP grew by more than 5 per cent in the first
 half of last year, unemployment rose from 7.3 per cent
 in April 1999 to 8.3 per cent in the first quarter of
 2000. There is also huge underemployment, with just 47
 per cent of the estimated work force actually
 registered.

 According to a Brussells report last year on Turkey's
 progress towards EU accession, there had been a
 worrying lack of social dialogue between industry
 representatives and the government. The area remained
 a "matter of serious concern".

 It also expressed doubts about a law on trade unions
 in the public sector which is being prepared. It
 contains provisions curtailing the right to organise
 in the public sector, to exclude large categories of
 workers from the right to join a trade union, the
 possible liquidation of trade unions and to ban trade
 unions on political grounds.

 Though trade unions do exist, they are widely regarded
 as ineffective talking shops.

 "Our struggle is about more than the right to work,"
 reiterates Mr Ekinici. "It is about the right to have
 free thought in trade unions, to have free talk on
 rights for the workers. But the more the IMF and the
 World Bank control our country the more our rights are
 going backwards."

 As his colleagues give a display of their "resistance"
 song, he adds, "We will protest until we win. It is a
 struggle and it is difficult when you have family to
 have no money, but victory will be ours."

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki
Phone +358-40-7177941