CP of India, Us warship should leave India
           From: Communist Party of Greece, Wed, 28 Nov 2001
       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.cpofindia.org

COMMUNIST PARTY OF INDIA
CENTRAL OFFICE
Ajoy Bhavan
Phone: 3235546, 3235099 , Fax: 3235543
Kotla Marg, New Delhi
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

General Secretary: A.B. Bardhan
New Delhi,
28th November 2001

                             PRESS RELEASE
                 CPI Demands: Revoke Permission and Ask
                      US Warship To Leave Our Port

The Central Secretariat of the Communist Party of India has issued the
following statement:-

In the typical American way of taking every other country’s land, sea or
air space as its own, US helicopter on board the US warship berthed at
the Chennai docks, flew over our airspace, not just in passing, but for
full two hours and more, including in its flight route the Kalpakkam
Atomic Power Plant.  The Americans neither asked for, nor required any
permission from the Indian authorities for this sortie.  They just took
it for granted, and casually replied that this was a «routine training

The government of India has to answer to the country why, in the first
place, it allowed American warships engaged in combat operations the
facility for refuelling, rest and recreation for its sailors in India
ports.  The consequences are there for us to see.  To take this as just
a «routine affair» and a mere technical  breach of not informing the
authorities in advance of the flight, is to compromise our sovereignty
and dignity.  It cannot be passed off as an inevitable part of the
government’s association with American war effort and the fight against
terrorism.

The Communist Party of India demands that permission for such facilities
be revoked, and the US warship be asked to quit Chennai port.

(S.S. Bhusari)
Office Secretary

*End*

KOMINFORM