From: rexy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:55:02 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PUBLIC COMMUNIQUE

PUBLIC COMMUNIQUE

The spokespersons of the FARC-EP inform the national and international
public:

In a press conference from Los Pozos on January 9 at 4:30 pm, the High
Commissioner for Peace, Camilo Gomez stated the FARC-EP had asked for the 48
hours agreed upon between President Pastrana and Commandant Manuel Marulanda
as the guarantee for us to withdraw in case of the termination of the peace
process.

We, the spokespersons of the FARC-EP did not request the 48 hours in
question, nor have we left the Table.  In line with the orientation of the
Central General Staff, we are awaiting the presidential decision until
January 20.

In his statement at 9:30 pm on the same day, President Pastrana said he
would keep the doors open to dialogue and negotiation.  If this is so, then
it is the Government and not the FARC-EP that should return to the Table,
since we have never left it and on the contrary have been presenting a
series of proposals aimed at freeing the process of its obstacles.

An end to the over flights of our encampments by warplanes; to the army road
blocks in the name of paramilitarism in the area bordering the Zone, at
which they charge taxes on the merchants, truckers and residents in general;
to the restrictions on visits to the Zone by citizens and foreigners; to the
sending of covert agents with plans to assassinate the guerrilla chiefs;
plus a clarification by the Government as to whether or not it considers the
FARC-EP to be a terrorist organization, in order to avoid giving
interventionist pretexts to the United States: these are the measures we
have requested to have reviewed by the President and not, as is being
claimed with bad intention, that we are looking for suspension of measures
outside the Zone or near the Capital of the Republic.

With the intention to go forward, we have proposed that once the unilateral
measures announced by the President last October 7 are lifted, we dedicate
ourselves in the months of February and March to analyzing the theme of a
subsidy for the unemployed; and in April and May, to the matter of a
Cease-fire and Cessation of Hostilities, both issues contained in the San
Francisco de la Sombra Accord.

We have received replies to our letters from the President of the Episcopal
Conference, Msgr. Alberto Giraldo, and from James Lemoyne, Special Advisor
to the Secretary General of the United Nations, and we have listened to the
Ambassador of France, Coordinator of the Group of Facilitators, who manifest
his readiness to help save the peace process.

We are ready to meet with them and other personalities and organisms, but it
is necessary to clarify to the FARC-EP, the country and the world which of
the two hours we are to take as reference for the conclusion of the
announced 48 hours: that of the High Commissioner at 4:30 pm or of the
President at 9:30 pm.
Such delicate themes as peace and reconciliation of Colombians must be
treated with high political standards and not emotional sallies like the
ones we have seen in recent hours.  The unemployment, hunger, lack of
education and health that affect the Colombian people will be solved by
social investment and not the machines of war.

Raúl Reyes       Joaquín Gómez             Carlos Antonio Lozada

Simón Trinidad           Andrés París

Mountains of Colombia, January 10, 2002

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66