Reuters. 11 January 2002. Protests Continue as Argentina's Peso Returns.

BUENOS AIRES -- Argentina's peso currency faced its baptism of fire in
the markets on Friday in the shadow of new protests at a government
freeze on bank deposits.

Several thousand people, exasperated by years of recession and
mismanagement of the economy, clanged pots and pans in a protest in
front of the Casa Rosada presidential palace in the early hours of the
morning.

The demonstration, and others throughout central Buenos Aires, were
mostly peaceful but they brought back memories of anti-government
protests and food riots in December in which 27 people died.

The latest protests were sparked by Duhalde's attempts to protect
brittle banks by allowing them to keep some deposits under wraps until
2003.

After the vast majority of protesters quietly went home, a few isolated
vandals broke windows at banks, destroyed telephone booths and looted at
least one supermarket after police dispersed with tear gas those left
behind.

"If I rob a bank, they throw me in jail. But if they rob me, then they
say that's OK," one man screamed on local television as cars streamed by
blasting their horns outside the historical building where Peronist
Duhalde has worked since taking power just last week.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews