From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:40:25 -0500
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Cuban Statement on US Use of Guantanamo

Cuban Statement on US Use of Guantanamo

Via NY Transfer News * All the News That Doesn't Fit

[Spanish follows english below]

source - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Jan 11, 2002

STATEMENT BY THE GOVERNMENT OF CUBA
TO NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC OPINION

The American Naval Base at Guantanamo is a facility located in an
area of 117.6 square kilometers of the national territory of Cuba
occupied since 1903 due to an Agreement on Coaling and Naval Stations
signed by the Government of the United States of America and the
Government of Cuba under President Tomás Estrada Palma. At that time,
our country was not really independent since an amendment --known as
Platt Amendment-- had been passed by the U.S. Congress and signed by
President McKinley on March 1901 while our country was under
occupation by the U.S. army after its intervention in the
independence war waged by the Cuban people against the Spanish
metropolis.

The Platt Amendment, which granted the United States the right to
intervene in Cuba, was imposed to the text of our 1901 Constitution
as a prerequisite for the withdrawal of the American troops from the
Cuban territory. Following that clause, the aforementioned Agreement
on Coaling and Naval Stations was signed on February 1903 in Havana
and Washington, respectively. It actually included two areas of our
national territory: Bahía Honda and Guantanamo, although a naval base
was never established in the former.

In Article II of that Agreement, the right was literally granted to
the United States to do "all that is necessary to outfit those places
so they can be used exclusively as coaling or naval stations, and for
no other purpose."

In addition to that treaty of February 1903, on May 22 that same year
a Permanent Treaty of Relations was signed by Cuba and the United
States of America using the exact text of the 8 clauses contained in
the Platt Amendment which were thus turned into articles of said
treaty.

Twenty-one years later, on May 29, 1934, in the spirit of the
American "Good Neighbor" policy under President Franklin Delano
Roosevelt, a new Treaty of Relations was subscribed between the
Republic of Cuba and the United States of America that abrogated the
previous 1903 Treaty, thereby abrogating the Platt Amendment. The new
Treaty definitely excluded Bahía Honda as a possible base, but it
sustained the presence in Guantanamo Naval Base and kept in effect
the rules of establishment. As for such rules that remained in force,
the Article III of the new Treaty literally stated:

"Until the two contracting parties agree to the modification of the
agreement in regard to the lease to the United States of America of
lands in Cuba for coaling and naval stations signed by the President
of the Republic of Cuba on February 16, 1903, and by the President of
the United States of America on the 23rd day of the same month and
year, the stipulations of that agreement with regard to the naval
station of Guantanamo shall continue in effect. The supplementary
agreement in regard to coaling and naval stations signed between the
two Governments on July 2, 1903 also shall continue in effect in the
same form and on the same conditions with respect to the naval
station at Guantanamo. So long as the United States of America shall
not abandon the said naval station of Guantanamo or the two
Governments shall not agree to a modification of its present limits,
the station shall continue to have the territorial area that it now
has, with the limits that it has on the date of the signature of the
present Treaty."

As evidence of the abusive conditions imposed by that Treaty, the
above-mentioned supplementary agreement established that the United
States would compensate the Republic of Cuba for the leasing of 117.6
square kilometers --that is, 11,760 hectares comprising a large
portion of one of the best bays in the country-- with the sum of
2,000 US dollars annually, presently increased to 4,085 US dollars
annually --that is, 34.7 cents per hectare-- to be paid to Cuba in
yearly checks. An elemental sense of dignity and absolute
disagreement with what happens in that portion of our national
territory has prevented Cuba from cashing those checks which are
issued to the Treasurer General of the Republic of Cuba, a position
and an institution that ceased to exist a long time ago.

After the victory of the Revolution in Cuba, that base was the source
of numerous frictions between Cuba and the United States. The
overwhelming majority of the over three thousand Cubans who worked
there were fired from their jobs and replaced by people from other
countries. At present, only 10 Cubans work there.

In the past, shots were often made from that facility against our
territory, and several Cuban soldiers died as a result.
Counterrevolutionaries found haven and support over there. Following
unilateral decisions by leaders of the U.S. government throughout the
revolutionary period in Cuba, tens of thousands of immigrants
--Haitians and Cubans who tried to make it to the United States by
their own means-- were taken to that military base. Throughout more
than four decades, that base has been put to multiple uses, none of
them contemplated in the agreement that justified its presence in our
territory.

But, Cuba could do absolutely nothing to prevent it.

On the other hand, for almost half a century propitious conditions
have never existed for a calmed, legal and diplomatic analysis aimed
at the only logical and fair solution to this prolonged, chronic and
abnormal situation, that is, the return to our country of that
portion of our national territory occupied against the will of our
people.

However, a basic principle of Cuba's policy toward this bizarre and
potentially dangerous problem between Cuba and the United States,
which is decades long, has been to avoid that our claim would become
a major issue, not even a specially important issue, among the
multiple and grave differences existing between the two nations. In
the Pledge of Baraguá presented on February 19, 2000, the issue of
the Guantanamo base is dealt with in the last point and formulated in
the following way: "In due course, since it is not our main objective
at this time, although it is our people's right and one that we shall
never renounce, the illegally occupied territory of Guantanamo should
be returned to Cuba!"

That military enclave is the exact place where American and Cuban
soldiers stand face to face, thus the place where serenity and a
sense of responsibility are most required. Although we have always
been willing to fight and die in defense of our sovereignty and our
rights, the most sacred duty of our people and their leaders has been
to preserve the nation from avoidable, unnecessary and bloody wars.

At the same time, that is also the place where it would be easier for
people interested in bringing about conflicts between the two
countries to undertake plans aimed at attracting aggressive actions
against our people in their heroic political, economic and
ideological resistance vis-à-vis the enormous power of the United
States.

Our country has been particularly thoughtful about applying there a
specially cautious and equable policy.

It should be pointed out, however, that even if for decades there was
quite a lot of tension in the area of the Guantanamo naval base,
there have been changes there in the past few years and now an
atmosphere of mutual respect prevails.

In 1994, when a large number of rafters sent by the U.S. authorities
concentrated there, the situation created determined the need to
solve the numerous problems that had been accumulating, which
endangered the lives of many. Some people interested in migrating to
the United States from our own territory attempted to do so through
the base, while not few tried to leave the American military base and
return to our country crossing mined fields. Accidents occurred and
often our soldiers had to take major risks to rescue people from the
mined fields. Such actions also required information and cooperation
from the personnel stationed at the base. Additionally, there were
the heavy rains and swollen rivers in the area that swept away mines
and blurred their markings which gave rise to similarly hazardous
situations for all.

Such circumstances contributed to an improvement of the atmosphere
there and to authorized, albeit minimal, contacts that were
indispensable to those in positions of responsibility on both sides
of the base area. Consequently, what prevails there today is not what
could be described as an atmosphere of hostility or war.

Two new international developments have had a bearing on the
situation in that base: the war in Kosovo in 1999 and the war in
Afghanistan after the terrorist acts of September 11. In both cases,
the United States has played a protagonist role.

In the former case there was a large number of Kosovars refugees. The
Government of the United States of America, in accordance with
previous commitments, made the decision to use the military base to
shelter a number of them. Such decisions are always made
unilaterally; our views are never previously asked; and, we were
never even informed. However, on that occasion, for the first time,
we were informed of the decision and the rational behind it. We then
gave a constructive response.

Although we were opposed to that war, there was no reason for us to
oppose the assistance that the Kosovars refugees might need. We even
offered our country's cooperation, if necessary, to provide medical
care or any other services that might be required. Ultimately, the
refugees were not sent to Guantanamo naval base.

This time the decision has been adopted to bring prisoners of the war
in Afghanistan to that military base. The same as in the past, we
were not consulted but there was a gesture in previously providing
ample and detailed information on the steps that would be taken to
accommodate the prisoners there and ensure that the security of our
people is not in anyway jeopardized. The latest details were given to
the Cuban authorities last Monday, January 7, 2002.

The information supplied indicates that there will be a strong
reinforcement of the military personnel at the base in charge of
taking the necessary measures for the accomplishment of their
objectives.

Despite the fact that we hold different positions as to the most
efficient way to eradicate terrorism, the difference between Cuba and
the United States lies in the method and not in the need to put an
end to that scourge, --so familiar to our people that have been its
victim for more than 40 years-- the same that last September 11 dealt
a repulsive and brutal blow to the American people.

Although the transfer of foreign war prisoners by the United States
government to one of its military facilities --located in a portion
of our land over which we have no jurisdiction, as we have been
deprived of it-- does not abide by the provisions that regulated its
inception, we shall not set any obstacles to the development of the
operation.

Having been apprised of the operation and aware of the fact that it
demands a considerable movement of personnel and means of air
transportation, the Cuban authorities will keep in contact with the
personnel at the American naval base to adopt such measures as may be
deemed convenient to avoid the risk of accidents that might put in
jeopardy the lives of the personnel thus transported.

Despite the major increase of military personnel that such an
operation will require, we feel that it does not pose any threat to
the national security of our country. Therefore, we will not increase
the Cuban personnel or the military means stationed in the area of
that facility. Our highly disciplined and qualified personnel suffice
to ensure the safety of the population in the region in case of any
danger that might originate with the transfer of the foreign
prisoners to that base.

Cuba will make every effort to preserve the atmosphere of détente and
mutual respect that has prevailed in that area in the past few years.

The government of Cuba appreciates the previous information supplied
and has taken note with satisfaction of the public statements made by
the U.S. authorities in the sense that the prisoners will be accorded
an adequate and humane treatment that may be monitored by the
International Red Cross.

Although the exact number of prisoners that will be concentrated
there is not yet known, just like on the occasion of the project to
transfer to that place thousands of Kosovars refugees, we are willing
to cooperate with the medical services required as well as with
sanitation programs in the surrounding areas under our control to
keep them clean of vectors and pests. Likewise, we are willing to
cooperate in any other useful, constructive and humane way that may
arise.

This is the position of Cuba!

Government of the Republic of Cuba

                           *

DECLARACIÓN DEL GOBIERNO DE CUBA
A LA OPINIÓN PÚBLICA NACIONAL E INTERNACIONAL

La base naval norteamericana de Guantánamo es una instalación ubicada
en un área de 117,6 kilómetros cuadrados del territorio nacional de
Cuba, ocupada desde 1903.  Fue resultado de un Convenio para las
Estaciones Carboneras y Navales firmado entre el Gobierno de Estados
Unidos y el Gobierno de Cuba, presidido por Tomás Estrada Palma, en
circunstancias en que nuestro país no poseía prácticamente
independencia alguna a partir de la imposición de una enmienda
aprobada por el Congreso de Estados Unidos y firmada por el
Presidente McKinley en marzo de 1901, que se conoció como Enmienda
Platt, mientras nuestro país estaba ocupado por el ejército de
Estados Unidos, después de su intervención en la guerra de
independencia del pueblo de Cuba contra la metrópoli española.

Tal Enmienda daba a Estados Unidos el derecho a intervenir en Cuba, y
fue impuesta al texto de nuestra Constitución de 1901 como condición
para la retirada de las tropas de Estados Unidos del territorio
cubano.  En virtud de esa cláusula fue suscrito el mencionado
Convenio para las Estaciones Carboneras y Navales, firmado en febrero
de 1903 en La Habana y Washington, respectivamente, que en realidad
incluía dos áreas de nuestro territorio nacional: Bahía Honda y
Guantánamo, aunque nunca llegó a establecerse una base naval en la
primera.

En el Artículo II de aquel Convenio se establecía textualmente el
derecho "a hacer todo cuanto fuere necesario para poner dichos
lugares en condiciones de usarse exclusivamente como estaciones
carboneras o navales y para ningún otro objeto".

En adición a este convenio de febrero de 1903, el 22 de mayo de ese
mismo año, se firmó un Tratado Permanente de Relaciones entre Cuba y
Estados Unidos, en el que las 8 cláusulas de la Enmienda Platt son
tomadas textualmente y convertidas en los artículos del Tratado.

Veintiún años más tarde, el 29 de mayo de 1934, en el espíritu de la
política norteamericana del "Buen Vecino", bajo la presidencia de
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, fue firmado un nuevo Tratado de Relaciones
entre la República de Cuba y Estados Unidos de América que derogaba
el de 1903, y con ello la Enmienda Platt.  En este nuevo Tratado
también quedaba excluida definitivamente Bahía Honda como posible
base, pero se mantenía la permanencia de la base naval de Guantánamo
y la plena vigencia de las normas que lo regían. Con relación a
dichas normas que continuaban vigentes, el Artículo III del nuevo
Tratado establecía textualmente: "En tanto las dos partes
contratantes no se pongan de acuerdo para la modificación o
abrogación de las estipulaciones del Convenio firmado por el
Presidente de la República de Cuba el 16 de febrero de 1903 y por el
Presidente de los Estados Unidos de América el 23 del mismo mes y
año, en cuanto al arrendamiento a los Estados Unidos de América de
terrenos en Cuba para estaciones carboneras o navales, seguirán en
vigor las estipulaciones de ese Convenio en cuanto a la estación
naval de Guantánamo. Respecto a esa estación naval seguirá también en
vigor en las mismas formas y condiciones el arreglo suplementario
referente a estaciones navales o carboneras terminado entre los dos
Gobiernos el 2 de Julio de 1903.

"Mientras no se abandone por parte de los Estados Unidos de América
la dicha Estación Naval de Guantánamo o mientras los dos Gobiernos no
acuerden una modificación de sus límites actuales, seguirá teniendo
la extensión territorial que ahora ocupa, con los límites que tiene
en la fecha de la firma del presente Tratado."

Como una prueba de las condiciones abusivas de aquel Convenio, el
mencionado arreglo suplementario estipulaba que Estados Unidos
pagaría a la República de Cuba por el arrendamiento de 117,6
kilómetros cuadrados -es decir, 11,760 hectáreas que incluyen gran
parte de una de las mejores bahías del país- la suma de dos mil
dólares anuales, que en la actualidad asciende a 4.085 dólares al año
-es decir, 34,7 centavos por hectárea- pagados en cheques anuales que
Cuba, por elemental dignidad y absoluto desacuerdo con lo que ocurre
en ese espacio de nuestro territorio nacional, se ha negado a cobrar.
Los cheques son dirigidos al Tesorero General de la República de
Cuba, cargo e institución que hace mucho tiempo ya no existen.

Al triunfo de la Revolución en Cuba, esa base se convirtió en causa
de numerosas fricciones entre Cuba y Estados Unidos.  La inmensa
mayoría de los más de tres mil ciudadanos cubanos que allí laboraban
fueron expulsados de su puesto de trabajo y sustituidos por personal
de otros países.  Hoy sólo quedan 10 trabajadores cubanos.

Eran frecuentes los disparos desde esa instalación hacia nuestro
territorio, algunos soldados cubanos murieron como consecuencia de
esos hechos.  Elementos contrarrevolucionarios encontraron en ella
apoyo y refugio. A lo largo del período revolucionario, por decisión
unilateral de los gobernantes de Estados Unidos, decenas de miles de
migrantes, haitianos y nacionales cubanos que trataban de viajar a
Estados Unidos por sus propios medios, eran concentrados en esa base
militar.  A lo largo de más de cuatro décadas, ésta ha sido empleada
para múltiples usos, ninguno de los cuales estaba contenido en el
acuerdo con que se justificó su presencia en nuestro territorio.

Cuba no podía hacer absolutamente nada para impedirlo.

Por otro lado, a lo largo de casi medio siglo nunca se produjeron las
condiciones propicias para un análisis sereno, legal y diplomático
con el propósito de alcanzar la única solución lógica y justa a esta
larga, crónica y anormal situación: el reintegro a nuestro país de
ese espacio de nuestro territorio nacional ocupado contra la voluntad
de nuestro pueblo.

Sin embargo, un principio básico de la política cubana ante este
problema extraño y potencialmente peligroso entre Cuba y Estados
Unidos, que ha perdurado decenas de años, ha sido evitar que nuestro
reclamo se convirtiera en tema prioritario y ni siquiera en asunto de
especial importancia entre las numerosas y graves diferencias que
existen entre ambos países.  En el propio Juramento de Baraguá
formulado el día 19 de febrero del año 2000 la cuestión de la base
naval de Guantánamo se expone como último punto, y se expresa de la
siguiente forma: ... "a su debido tiempo ya que no constituye
objetivo prioritario en este instante aunque sí justísimo e
irrenunciable derecho de nuestro pueblo, ¡el territorio ilegalmente
ocupado de Guantánamo debe ser devuelto a Cuba!"

Ese enclave militar es precisamente el lugar donde soldados
norteamericanos y cubanos se encuentran unos frente a otros y, por
ello, donde se requiere más serenidad y sentido de responsabilidad.
Aunque dispuestos a luchar y morir en defensa de su soberanía y sus
derechos, el más sagrado deber de nuestro pueblo y sus dirigentes ha
sido preservar a la nación de evitables, innecesarias y sangrientas
guerras.  Es aquel también el punto donde más fácilmente personas
interesadas en crear conflictos entre ambos países podrían
instrumentar planes que sirvieran para provocar acciones agresivas
contra nuestro pueblo, en su heroica resistencia política, económica
e ideológica frente a la colosal potencia de Estados Unidos.

Nuestro país se ha esmerado en aplicar allí una política
especialmente cuidadosa y ecuánime.

Debemos señalar sin embargo que, si bien durante décadas reinó
bastante tensión en el área de la base naval de Guantánamo, en los
últimos años se ha producido allí un cambio de clima.  Se respira una
atmósfera de respeto mutuo.

Cuando en 1994 en aquella base se acumuló un gran número de balseros
enviados a ese lugar por las autoridades norteamericanas, la propia
situación creada determinó la necesidad de resolver numerosos
problemas que se fueron creando y que ponían en peligro la vida de
muchas personas. Unos trataban de penetrar desde nuestro territorio
para emigrar hacia Estados Unidos y, a la inversa, no pocos trataban
de salir de la base y volver al país atravesando terrenos minados.
Se producían accidentes y muchas veces nuestros propios soldados
corrieron graves riesgos para rescatar personas en los campos de
minas.  Estas acciones requerían también información y cooperación
del personal de la base.  A estos hechos se unían las consecuencias
de grandes lluvias y crecidas de los ríos en esa área, arrastrando
minas y borrando señalizaciones de las mismas, lo que igualmente daba
lugar a situaciones similares de peligro para todos.

Tales circunstancias contribuyeron a una mejoría de ambiente y
contactos autorizados, aunque mínimos, indispensables entre los
responsables de uno y otro lado del perímetro.  No hay hoy allí lo
que pudiera considerarse un ambiente de hostilidad y guerra.

Han ocurrido dos acontecimientos y hechos nuevos en la esfera
internacional que han incidido sobre la situación en esa base: la
guerra de Kosovo en 1999 y la guerra en Afganistán después del acto
terrorista del 11 de septiembre. En ambas, Estados Unidos ha
desempeñado un papel protagónico.

En la primera se produjo un gran número de refugiados kosovares.  El
Gobierno de Estados Unidos, de acuerdo a compromisos contraídos, tomó
la decisión de utilizar la base como albergue para un número de
ellos.  Tales decisiones se toman siempre unilateralmente.  Nunca se
nos solicita opinión previa, ni siquiera se nos informaba.  Pero en
esa ocasión, por vez primera, se nos comunicó la decisión tomada,
argumentándose los motivos de la misma.  Nuestra respuesta fue
constructiva.  Aunque opuestos a aquella guerra, no teníamos razones
para oponernos a la ayuda que pudieran necesitar los refugiados
kosovares.  Ofrecimos incluso la cooperación de nuestro país si fuese
necesario para la atención médica o cualquier otro servicio que
necesitaran los mismos.  Finalmente no fueron enviados a la base
naval de Guantánamo.

Esta vez se adopta la decisión de alojar en la base a prisioneros de
la guerra en Afganistán.  De igual modo, no se solicitó opinión
alguna, pero se repite el gesto de informar previamente y con
amplitud de detalles los pasos que se proponían dar para el
alojamiento de los prisioneros y garantizar que en nada se afecte la
seguridad de nuestra población.  Los últimos detalles fueron
comunicados a las autoridades cubanas el pasado lunes 7 de enero del
2002.

En la información suministrada se nos da a conocer un fuerte
reforzamiento de personal militar de la base para las tareas a
realizar y medidas a tomar en el cumplimiento del objetivo trazado.

Aunque tenemos posiciones distintas acerca de la forma más eficaz de
erradicar el terrorismo, la diferencia entre Cuba y Estados Unidos
está en el método y no en la necesidad de poner fin a este flagelo
bien conocido por nuestro pueblo, del cual ha sido víctima durante
más de 40 años y que el pasado 11 de septiembre golpeó de forma
repugnante y brutal al pueblo de Estados Unidos.

Aunque el traslado de prisioneros de guerra extranjeros por parte del
Gobierno de Estados Unidos a una instalación militar suya, ubicada en
un espacio de nuestro territorio sobre el cual hemos sido privados
del derecho a ejercer jurisdicción, no se ajusta a las normas que
dieron origen a esa instalación, no crearemos obstáculos al
desarrollo de la operación.  Habiendo sido advertidos de ella y
conscientes de que esta exige gran movimiento de personal y medios de
transporte aéreo, las autoridades cubanas mantendrán contacto con el
personal de la base en la adopción de medidas que impidan riesgos de
accidentes con los medios que pongan en peligro las vidas del
personal que se transporta en ellos.

A pesar del considerable incremento de personal militar que la
operación requiere no consideramos que la misma implique amenaza
alguna para la seguridad del país.  Por ello, no incrementaremos el
personal ni los medios militares cubanos destacados en el perímetro
de aquella instalación.  Dicho personal, altamente disciplinado y
calificado, es además suficiente para garantizar la seguridad de la
población de la zona frente a cualquier riesgo que pudiera originarse
con el traslado de los prisioneros extranjeros a esa base.

Cuba se esforzará por conservar alrededor de ese punto el clima de
distensión y respeto mutuo que ha prevalecido allí durante los
últimos años.

El Gobierno de Cuba aprecia la información previa suministrada, y ha
tomado nota con satisfacción de las declaraciones públicas de las
autoridades norteamericanas en el sentido de que los prisioneros
recibirán un tratamiento adecuado y humano, que podrá ser controlado
por la Cruz Roja Internacional.

Aunque no se conoce con precisión el número de prisioneros que allí
serán concentrados, al igual que en ocasión del proyecto de trasladar
a ese punto a miles de refugiados kosovares, estamos en disposición
de cooperar con los servicios de asistencia médica que fuesen
requeridos, programas de saneamiento y de lucha contra vectores y
plagas en las áreas

bajo nuestro control que circundan la base, o de cualquier otra forma
útil, constructiva y humana que pueda presentarse.

¡Esta es la posición de Cuba!

El Gobierno de Cuba
Enero 11 del año 2002

  NY Transfer News Collective   *   A Service of Blythe Systems
           Since 1985 - Information for the Rest of Us
              339 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012
  http://www.blythe.org                  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

nytcari-01.11.02-23:40:19-14092

KOMINFORM