----------
From: "Stasi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: [Peoples War] Ireland: Petrol bombs thrown as rioters clash - BBC

Friday, 11 January, 2002, 14:04 GMT

Photos Report :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/northern_ireland/newsid_1754000/1754948.
stm

RealAudio Report :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1750000/audio/_1754725_rosy11jan.ram
BBC NI's Rosy Billingham reports: "Rival factions clashed on the Whitewell
Road"

Petrol bombs thrown as rioters clash
=========================
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/northern_ireland/newsid_1754000/1754725.
stm

Nationalist and loyalist rioters have clashed in the Whitewell area of north
Belfast.
The trouble began as police were dealing with serious rioting in the Ardoyne
area - also in the north of the city.

Petrol bombs were thrown at homes on both sides of the peaceline between
White City and Serpentine Gardens on Thursday night.

Rival factions also clashed on the Whitewell Road near Arthur Bridge.

"What we have got to do is stop counting the scores, sit down immediately
and get some talking done"
Pat Convery
SDLP

Firefighters were called to deal with petrol bombs as homes on the White
City estate came under attack.

In Serpentine Gardens, one man said he had "had enough" after his kitchen
roof was damaged by a petrol bomb.

Tony Kirby said he was now planning to move from the area.

"Your nerve just goes. There's no good in saying you're a brave man and that
it doesn't worry you because it does.

"Petrol bombs to me, is attempted murder," he said.

Blame

Local community worker Brian Dunn said nationalists were to blame for the
attacks on White City.

"We've been attacked at three different points by people from the
nationalist community who have been out in the last lot of weeks protesting,
saying they do not want any trouble in this area.

"But they came in here, because of the trouble in Ardoyne, trying to stretch
police to their limits," said Mr Dunn.

The clearing up started on Friday morning amid calls for community
representatives to get together to calm the situation.

SDLP councillor Pat Convery, who lives in the Serpentine area, said it was
time to stop the "finger pointing" and get the trouble stopped.

"We are prepared to sit down with anyone, day or night, and talk to people
to try and come to terms with this.

"What we have got to do is stop counting the scores, sit down immediately
and get some talking done," he said.

Independent Unionist councillor Frazer Agnew said he wanted to see more
being done on the nationalist side to stop provoking clashes.

"There are no difficulties in admitting there are problems on both sides but
what I am saying is that it is, inevitably, a reaction to the attacks on
this small Protestant community," he said.

Supplementary Reports :
Belfast Riots Go Back Centuries
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1752000/1752949.stm

Teacher Strike Threat Over School Violence :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/education/newsid_1755000/1755088.stm

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki