From: "Stasi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: [Peoples War] Sinn Fein: Week In Review

Sinn Féin International Department

--------------------
The week in review
--------------------
1-11 January 2001

Holy Cross - attacks escalate
------------------------------

Loyalist attacks on catholic schools and on nationalist residents in north
Belfast intensified at the beginning of the year, leading to the closure of
Holy Cross School on 9 and 10 January.
On 9 January Sinn Féin north Belfast Councillor Margaret McClenaghan accused
loyalists of deliberately trying to raise sectarian tensions in the area
after they verbally and physically abused parents going to pick up their
children at Holy Cross Primary school. Cllr. McClenaghan said: `As parents
of children at Holy Cross made their way up the Ardoyne Road this afternoon
to collect their children from school they were verbally abused, spat on and
assaulted by loyalists in the Glenbryn area. Loyalists appear to have
renewed the blockade of the school, with parents unable to get their
children home. Clearly the actions of these loyalists were organised to some
degree. Those responsible for these attacks and the blockade are clearly
intent on raising sectarian tensions in the area, following the same agenda
as the UDA have been following over the past number of years.' She called
upon unionist and loyalist politicians to work to end this situation `before
it gets out of control.'
On 10 November the situation escalated, with an attack on another Catholic
school, Our Lady of Mercy in Ballyscillan. North Belfast Sinn Féin
Councillor Eoin O Broin said the attack was `clearly part of an orchestrated
loyalist campaign aimed at driving nationalists from the North Belfast area.
' He called for the attacks to stop and for `loyalist and unionist
politicians to stand up to those responsible for this campaign of terror and
enter into dialogue to resolve the issue of sectarianism in the North
Belfast area.'
Education minister Martin McGuinness, speaking after the attack on the
school, also urged unionist politicians to confront loyalists over the
attacks. He said `everybody concerned with the education of our children has
to be absolutely appalled and disgusted at this unacceptable deterioration
of the situation . Yesterday was bad enough, and I think there was some hope
that common sense would prevail... but the latest escalation of all of this,
this morning, I think has sent people almost to the point of despair. My
message is that we should not despair, that there is a particular
responsibility in my view on politicians and community leaders to do
everything in their power to bring this to an end as a matter of urgency.
The key priority in all of this has to be the protection of our children.'
Labour MPs Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell tabled an Early Day Motion in
the House of Commons on 10 January urging the British government to urgently
bring an end to the attacks and ensure the safety of the school children.

Proposed Bill of Rights Fails Good Friday Test

On 3 January, Sinn Fein responded to the Human Rights Commission
consultation document 'Making a Bill of Rights'. Spokesperson on Human
Rights Pat McNamee said that despite some progress, the proposed Bill of
Rights `failed the Good Friday Agreement test'.
He outlined a number of areas of concern:
* Parity of Esteem - Is a key principle of the Good Friday Agreement,
recognised by the two governments and all of the pro-Agreement parties. Yet
the Human Rights Commission is recommending that it should not be rooted as
a principle in the proposed Bill of Rights.
* The Irish Language - was given special recognition under the Good Friday
Agreement. This is again ignored in the consultation document.
* The Constitutional Position - the Good Friday Agreement affords the right
for nationalists and republicans to work towards constitutional change. The
Human Rights Commission has simply avoided what is a crucial issue for the
vast majority of people living in the Six Counties.
* Consitutional Court - given the bigotry of the judiciary in the Six
Counties, Sinn Féin is proposing that an All-Ireland Constitutional Court is
the only appropriate machanism for arbitration on Human Rights issues.

Irish unity debate must begin
-----------------------------

Speaking to an elected representative's conference in Belfast in early
January, Sinn Féin Chairperson Mitchel McLaughlin said that the major
political topic for debate still outstanding was the issue of Irish unity.
Mr Mc Laughlin told the conference; `Republicans at every opportunity must
begin discussions with unionists and other political opponents on the
benefits of Irish unity. We can not afford to wait for anyone else to
initiate these discussions because who else other than republicans have the
motivation do so.
`As our electoral strength continues to grow across the 32 counties of
Ireland we need to use that strength to bring about a United Ireland which
will accommodate unionist concerns. With the increase of political strength
comes the responsibility for advancing the type of united Ireland that can
accommodate all. We will have to begin discussions that will bring that
about by engaging with our political opponents - unionist, nationalists and
others. Coming from a strong constituency of nationalism and republicanism -
one that is getting stronger, we need to address the fears of those
concerned about future constitutional change.
`The core outstanding issue of political debate in Ireland at present is
that of constitutional change leading to the dismantling of partition. It
can no longer be ignored. The advances made by Sinn Féin in last years
Westminster and Local Government elections in the North will be replicated
in the forthcoming general election in the 26 counties. But we should not
allow ourselves become complacent by listening to predictions in the media
of an increase of
as many as eight Dáil seats. These wild predictions are being made by
political pundits that have no love of republicans so that if they do not
transpire then it can be claimed that Sinn Féin did not do as well as
expected. We will do very well but this is not a short-term project it needs
long term commitment to build the strength required to complete our
political project.
`Our success in acquiring Westminster facilities as of right will also
assist us in this project. I believe that it will be as significant and as
successful as our Washington Bureau since its opening a number of years ago.
I also expect progress in the coming months on northern representation in
the Irish political system. This will be highly significant as it will for
the first time since partition give Irish citizens in the North a voice -
albeit one limited to those issues not explicit to the 26 counties - in the
affairs of the 'Nation'.

Ferris throws down the gauntlet to Bertie Ahern

Sinn Féin Ard Chomhairle member Cllr Martin Ferris speaking on 6 January the
Feargal O'Hanlon Memorial Lecture in Monaghan threw down the gauntlet to An
Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, stating `the story of the 2002 general election will
be the success of Sinn Féin'. Cllr Ferris said: `The year 2001 will be
remembered in electoral terms as the year Sinn Féin became the largest
nationalist party in the Six Counties and won four Westminster seats, and
when our party played a key role in defeating the Nice Treaty referendum in
the 26 Counties.
He added that the story of the 2002 general election would be `the success
of Sinn Féin.'
He said: `I confidently predict that our sole TD Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin will
be re-elected in Cavan/Monaghan. That will be an historic achievement
because not since the 1920s has Sinn Féin retained a Leinster House seat.
But we will [also] send a strong contingent of Sinn Féin TDs to Leinster
House and make an impact on the political scene as never before. I look
forward to taking my place on that team.'
Responding to comments made recently by the Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, Cllr.
Ferris said: `In an interview in last week's Sunday Business Post the
Taoiseach and leader of Fianna Fáil Bertie Ahern stated that it "would not
be tenable for Sinn Féin to participate in a sovereign Irish government" and
he referred to the "continued existence of an illegal private army
associated with a political party". The Taoiseach appeared to rule out
negotiations with Sinn Féin about the formation of a government after the
general election. I would remind the Taoiseach that Sinn Féin does not have
a private army. What we do have is an electoral mandate, a mandate that will
be increased after the general election. I think the electorate should be
told plainly by the Taoiseach that he regards votes cast for Sinn Féin as
less valid than those cast for other parties, and TDs elected for Sinn Féin
as less qualified to represent the people. Because if no party emerges with
a clear majority then all parties whose numbers in Leinster House make them
relevant must be considered in the negotiations to form a government. The
Taoiseach does not really believe that it would be untenable for Sinn Féin
to participate in government in this State. His statement is merely another
instalment in the negative campaigning by the establishment parties as they
attempt to frighten voters from supporting Sinn Féin.
`The Taoiseach need not be too concerned on Sinn Féin's behalf as we are not
holding our breath in anticipation of entering government with Fianna Fáil.
Yes, we want to be in government, but the government we are aiming for is a
national government in a 32-County parliament with a Sinn Féin majority.
That is our ultimate aim and though it may seem distant now, we need only
look at the rapid changes, which occurred, in recent years to realise that
it is no pipe dream.'
He concluded: `Sinn Féin is the only party in a position to challenge the
stale, corrupt and careerist establishment which has dominated politics in
the 26 Counties for so long. The gross inequalities and inefficiencies in
our health service, despite unprecedented economic prosperity, provide just
one indication of the failure of successive governments to serve the people.
Sinn Féin is building the radical alternative and pointing the way forward
to an all-Ireland democracy, an Ireland of equals.'

Adams - all electoral mandates must be treated equally

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams MP, speaking in Dublin, said that the sudden
re-emergence of anti-Sinn Féin rhetoric this New Year was due to the fact
that Sinn Féin will be challenging all of the establishment parties,
including Fianna Fáil, in constituencies such as Dublin South West and Kerry
North in the coming election. Mr. Adams said:
`Over the last number of days we have seen the beginning of the general
election campaign but with a concentration of post election arrangements
rather than on the issues which need to be addressed. And part of this has
involved Fianna Fáil comments on the validity of Sinn Féin¹s electoral
mandate.
`I believe that it is important to set out some basic points on this very
important issue. First of all I want to completely refute the comments. Sinn
Féin is a political party with an electoral mandate. We do not have a
private army nor are we linked to a private army. In the last election (EU
1999) Sinn Féin received over 200,000 votes on this island and those votes
are as valid as the votes received by other any party. And if the electorate
places Sinn Féin in a position of strength following the general election
then there is an obligation on other parties to respect this mandate.
`But this is not about Sinn Féin waiting to win the right number of Leinster
House seats and the correct parliamentary arithmetic before heading straight
into a coalition government with Fianna Fáil. It is an issue of equality. As
we approach the General Election Sinn Féin will be concentrating on the many
issues which successive governments have failed to address despite the
economic prosperity of recent years. Issues which we are putting on the
agenda are:
*A vigorous pursuit of the all-Ireland agenda in all its aspects
*Radical action to solve the housing crisis including price and rent
controls and increased resources for local authority housing programmes
*Complete reform of the health service which would provide free care for all
and end the two tier system of health for wealth that operates at present
*Support for a position of positive neutrality including a constitutional
referendum on the matter and calling on the government to respect and act
upon the decision of the electorate on the Nice Treaty
He concluded: `Sinn Féin is building the radical alternative and pointing
the way forward to an all-Ireland democracy, an Ireland of equals.'

Arms - `let the Independent Commission do its job'

The 9 January saw the House of Commons debate the extension of legislation
concerning decommissioning. Sinn Féin Assembly member Gerry said: `The issue
of arms is now back where it always should have been, with General de
Chastelain and the IICD (Independing International Commission on
Decommissioning). That is what the Good Friday Agreement prescribed and they
should now be allowed to get on with their work. The Tories and the
unionists who are attempting today to scupper the process in Westminster are
at one end of the scale, at the other end of which are the loyalist gangs
who are engaging in nightly attacks on Catholic homes. Yet in the face of
this loyalist campaign we have had at best ambivalence form the unionist
political establishment? Those MPs attempting to block this measure should
get real and stop attempting to do the job of the IICD.'

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki
Phone +358-40-7177941