now that you mention it, I've been having this problem too... it first
started when I was using kopete on two computers, with two
overlapping-but-different sets of accounts. I changed something at
work that I shouldn't have... and the metacontact involved at home got
confused, bouncing between two groups. I eventualy calmed it down by
separating out some contacts (gtalk I think) and adding them back into
the metacontact... but then later the metacontact showed up in two
groups, and my halfhearted attempts to get it back to normal failed -
it insists on being in both groups.

--
This insane ranting was brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com