Hi,

I'm very happily using kopete, as packaged by Debian.  I'm using Debian sid
(so, KDE v3.5.9, v0.12.7), but haven't switched to KDE v4.x yet on most of my
desktop machines: I'm hoping to do this once KDE v4.x reaches sid.

Several Jabber sites are in a process of switching over to using only TLS for
communications.  This is beginning with a "Secure Communications Week",
details are available from here:
        http://www.jabber.org/web/Secure_Communications_Week

Whilst this is "A Good Thing", there needs to be support for TLS in the
application.  The above page suggests that most clients support TLS and if
your client doesn't, one can simply upgrade.

I can confirm that the service currently does *not* work for v0.12.7, as
supplied with KDE v3.5.9.  This may be due to any number of reasons, but
perhaps v0.12.7 lacks some aspect of TLS support that the services now
require.

The above webpage says that TLS is supported from kopete "v0.50".  However,
this not very helpful since:
        a.  I couldn't discover how to map Kopete v0.50 to a KDE version
(v4.0.x,
v4.1.x?).  Is this information available anywhere?

        b.  I believe I can't upgrade Kopete without pulling a large chunk of
KDE
v4.x

My questions:
        Which version(s) of KDE includes Kopete that supports TLS?  Should I
expect
my v0.12.7 kopete to work?

        How do I know which KDE version has Kopete v0.50 (I feel this
information be
available somewhere).

        On the off-chance, is anyone planning on back-porting any missing TLS
support
to the old KDE v3.5.x (v0.12.x, I guess) branch?

Cheers,

Paul.