Hi Kopete developers,

>>>Has anyone written up instructions on how to compile Kopete for Windows?

Hunting around on the internet, I was only able to find this page about
compiling KDE
4 apps, but nothing about Kopete specifically:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge<<<

This is the correct way to build KDE applications.

>>>We have noticed that many youth today are using Microsoft Messenger
in Andean cybercafes, so we have decided to translate a Free
Software/Open Source instant messenger in Quechua and Aymara. We are
thinking of translating Pigdin because it is known to work well in
Windows and is included in BoliviaOS--a distribution of GNU/Linux based
in Bolivia. Nonetheless, we would prefer to use Kopete, since it has the
full voice and video capabilities of Microsoft Messenger. <<<

Here are my initial thoughts after downloading Kopete for Windows, using
the KDE for Windows Installer for KDE 4.2.2:

>>>To get Kopete for Windows, you first have to download the KDE for
Windows Installer, which at 1.7MB is not ...[SNIP] <<<
This is all correct. KDE on Windows is not easy to install. The
installer currently has no support for single application packages, as
we just do not have the time to package each and every KDE application
individually (it is nevertheless planned). Also you just hit a
systematic problem of KDE on Windows: KDE is designed as collection of
highly integrated applications. This means that they do share most of
their code - this makes each application very powerful but increases the
amount of space to install one application by many times. This leads to
the strange effect that for a "simple" messenger, you will need > 120 MB
of packages. You can of course try to cut away each unneeded Byte, but
this will need to much time imho.

>>>But wait, it only comes in English. If you want to use Kopete in
another language (like Spanish), you have to execute the KDE for Windows
Installer again and select the correct aspell and l10n package and
download another 17MB of files. You have to download all the
localization files for every KDE application, although you just want to
use *one* KDE application. <<<
see above.

>>>I know that we should be grateful that KDE apps now run under
Windows, but we clearly can't recommend that people use Kopete for
Windows given how complicated it is to download and install. What we
need is the ability to compile Kopete for Windows in a way that the
average person can just click on the installer and it installs like a
normal Windows app. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to do this,
or do you recommend that we just use Pigdin since it has an adequate
Windows installer?<<<

As I have already said above, compiling "only" kopete will not save you
enough space. And there is a second issue: stability. If you have found
the status page you probably saw the Disclaimer on that page:

        "Disclaimer These are early days for KDE4 on Windows, some
        programs work better than others and some fail to run
        altogether. "

This is not the normal free software warning. This is the pure truth.
KDE on Windows is probably at maximum in a beta-stage. The support for
KDE on Windows isn't great too - our team consists only of a handfull
people doing that in their free time.
At the moment there is no question - use Pidgin.

>>>Sincerely,
Amos Batto<<<

regards,
Patrick

p.s.: even though this might sound a bit harsh (to late in the night
over here), I just want to tell you the truth.

--
web:                 http://windows.kde.org