Hello,

I have some suggestions for enhancing kopete, that I want to implement myself.
But before I start I want to talk back with you whether they are wanted.

I find kopete being not very well integrated into kde4 - although it is part of
kde. I'm the most unsatisfied with its notifications. The "connection lost"
notification is an ugly white tooltip poping up somere (at least for me). It
looks as if it is from kde3 times. I suggest using the new kde4 notification
system for that.

That's a small one but I still have one "big" suggestion. There is that
notification popup when you recive a message. It shows the message and gives
you some buttons to handle it.
It's a nice feature ... but it could do much more. I'm annoied by the
following:
- I have to react on this popup. I have to click it away or open a chat
window. It does not disappear after some time. (still the case with kde 4.3?
- I cannot react on the message displayed directly. Instead I have to open the
oldstyle chat window and change my focus to it. (When I click on the
notification button the window will appear somewhere else on the screen. I
don't like that)

In conclusion, this nice little notification is not of much use. I can read the
message I got - but I can do that in the chat window too. And this chat window
I have to open anyway when I want to answer.

I think kopete should start to use plasma! Plasma can do more. My vision is to
make a Plasma::Extender (or Plasma::Dialog) out of this notification. Moreover
I want to add a textedit to it, so you can directly type an answer to a
recieved message. Moreover I want a timer of 20 seconds or so. If I don't type
an answer after that period I probably don't want to. The kopete icon will
stilly notify me of the unanswered message.
One additional effect of using Plasma::Extender:
The user can drag the chat directly onto his desktop and chat from there.

So, that's my main idea. From my point of view it should not be too hard to
implement (have already written a plasmoid) and can still make its way into
kde 4.4.

So, what do you think of it? And can you give me some technical hints? What do
I have to keep in mind? And if you can sketch an implementation (where to
place the code, what existing classes do I have to use) for me, I could work
faster.

Regards,

Björn