On Saturday 21 November 2009 14:30:24 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> On Saturday 21 November 2009 13:50:48 Pali Rohár wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Why? Please depend on this lib, do not include it. Think of what would
> > > happen when we would copy every external lib into KDE svn...
> >
> > Google libjingle from http://libjingle.googlecode.com/svn/trunk is for
> > gcc 3.3 (cant compile under gcc 4) and is too old (some years without
> > update). It has a lot of bugs and doesnt work with Kopete-jabber without
> > some patches. I commit this patch in rev. 1052317.
>
> Ok, I see. Still I do not like copying this lib into kdenetwork. I see atm
>  two possibilities: ask the developers of libjingle to release a new
>  version of the current svn snapshot with the patches (if they are not
>  active anymore, ask them to give the permission to you). Second you could
>  copy the lib into trunk/kdesupport (not absolutely sure if that would be a
>  correct way). I clearly prefer #1.

This issue has already been discussed on Review Board before the commit.
Please see http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/753/ .

In a nutshell, libjingle is out of date and a release is expected anytime now.
This version might not be 100% Jingle. An iris based implementation of jingle
is being worked on in the
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/kopete/new_jingle branch.

Another good reading on this subject would be the Google Talk in kopete
thread : http://lists.kde.org/?l=kopete-devel&m=125853434517208&w=2

I still think commits and Review Board should be linked somehow.

> > It is not easy to depend on some lib, which must be patched before
> >  compiling and using.
> >
> > > Btw, why not "improving" Jabber, but add a new plugin for Google Talk?
> >
> > This is not plugin, but is is integrated to jabber protocol (rev.
> > 1052230)
>
> Ah, very nice :)
>
> Bye
> urs