On Monday 14 December 2009 09:35:08 pm Zubin Mithra wrote:
> I don`t know if the idea of games on kopete is appealing; however i
> believe it hasn`t been taken up yet.
>
> What i propose here is slightly different; what if we could make an
> API using which developers could make kopete-extentions for various
> KDE games. Consequently, users could play the KDE games with each
> other over kopete.
>
> This would mean that developing a game for KDE would be more or less
> like developing a game for kopete.
>
> Is this possible? This idea is`nt mature as of now; so i`d love to
> have ideas, suggestions etc.
>

> cheers!!!
> Zubin Mithra
> P.S. i had presented this idea on #kopete at irc.kde.org and the core
> idea has changed since then. :)

I'm pretty sure that this is possible. There's two approaches that I currently
see that you could use to implement this:

1. Make it kopete-dependant. This means that you would basically publish an
API for people to use in order to set up the communication between the two
settings of games, perhaps by picking the best protocol available at the time.
I'm not exactly sure how this would work considering the proprietary nature of
every single IM protocol other than XMPP. This approach could require that an
XMPP account be set up in Kopete before being useful.

This also has the disadvantage that it will be obsolete when Kopete 2.0 comes
out (currently hoping to hit the KDE 4.6 or KDE 4.7 timeframe)

2. Use telepathy and it's tubes framework. This has the advantage of being
both client, and desktop agnostic. Telepathy is the freedesktop.org standard
for interfacing with various communication protocols including IM, VoIP, etc.
They provide a tube framework for passing arbitrary data (IIUC) that could be
used to establish the link between the players in your game.

Just my thoughts. Would love to see what you come up with as you  move
forward.
--
Matt