I also don't like the proposed gui changes.

- Vertical space is no problem for me, and can be saved by hiding the menu
(ctrl+M) and
making contacts use only one row, see my contact-list:
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1390/kopetelist.jpg
- transparency you can have with desktop effects, or in
detail-window/program-setup specific for every window
(right click on title-bar).

I would propose some other small changes, which would make kopete more
intuitive:
- F2 shortcut for renaming contacts inline
- when protocol icons are shown in contact list, and chat is started via click
(or double click),
click on protocol icon of a contact should open a chat in specified protocol.
This is especially important for
sending offline messages, if you know your contact prefers one protocol over
another.
- it should be possible to directly choose contact-photos from harddisk, and
not having to load AND find(!) them
in an extra list (this list is totally useless in my opinion, or does somebody
can tell me a usecase?)

Besides that, I find kopetes gui much more comfortable and configurable than
other clients like pidgin/miranda/..

Volker