On Monday 06 June 2016 02:51:35 4ernov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> to add some little bit of positive news, I wanted to inform, that I've
> returned to Kopete porting and fix some issues in the Jabber protocol. I
> pushed the code to my clone of Kopete repo on GitHub to not push
> preliminary changes to main porting branch, so here's the code:
> https://github.com/aclex/kopete/tree/kf5-jabber-iris.

Great! That you very much for doing this.

> Some time ago we discussed with Pali on some issues in the upstream XMPP
> library, libiris, and ways of experimenting with it to possibly change it.
> I tried to port the protocol with it at first, and it turned out, that the
> actual change to upstream needed is quite trivial and extremely small:
> https://github.com/psi-im/iris/pull/39.

I just waned to tell you to use qobject_cast, but now I see that you
already fixed it and upstream merged...

> Hopefully, it would be merged and
> we can synchronize it to have Qt5-compliant internal tree.

Syncing is not a problem, time to time I'm doing it.

> Switch to QXmpp
> still remains a sweet option, but it seems more wise to make all this
> consequently and finish the port first, before changing something else.

That switch would take couple of hours and I think libiris is usable for
now. Once everything will be ported we can investigate how hard can be
that switch...

> Apart from that, most of changes were kde-dev-scripts/kf5-driven, so to my
> rough testing most of windows I managed to touch work as expected. SSL
> connectivity doesn't work for some reason, as far, as I see it's something
> with libiris/QCA2-qt5 interaction problems. Still, it works and the
> functionality loss is less now.

You can try to ask on qca mailing list, if there are some problems with
switching applications from qt4 to qt5. Maybe somebody would know
more...

> I think, there's a couple not ported protocols remaining in the tree, I'll
> try to fix it, too. And overall application looks a bit unstable for now,
> though I use it for everyday chatting for about 2-3 months already (I mean,
> KF5-partially ported version).

If you have code parts which are compatible with both qt4 and qt5 I can
merge it into kopete master branch (after review). Basically master
branch needs to be compiled with qt4 until Kopete will be fully ported
to qt5.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.ro...@gmail.com