Andrew Lentvorski wrote:
I am in the process of moving from my old mail server to my new mail server (FreeBSD/Postfix/Courier to OpenSolaris/Postfix/Dovecot -- transition story for another day when it isn't quite so traumatic).

So, I set up the new one as a secondary MX.

And almost 1/3 of my spam changed over.

Okaaaay.  Well, at least I know the new server is running.

So, that brings up an interesting question.

Is there any system to use attempts to scan/access a secondary MX as a way to blacklist hosts?

At Greenest Host, I implemented the following. It proved very effective at decreasing the amount of Spam. We did not have a secondary MX, but one of the links below includes a method for systems using secondary MX. In my case I used Cyrus SASL, but I understand Dovecot is easier.

Maybe some of this you've already done.

Implement the suggestions found in this article (which includes some of the things in the following links).
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/focus_spam_postfix/

Setup a local blacklist using rbldns:
http://tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.php

Implement an after-queue content filter using AVG (or other filtering SW)
http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html

In addition, ASK (Active Spam Killer) is very effective at eliminating spam. I know a lot of people don't like these types of systems, but they work.
http://a-s-k.sourceforge.net/

I plan to implement most, if not all, of these when I get my new hosting server setup soon.

PGA
--
Paul G. Allen, BSIT/SE
Owner, Sr. Engineer