I have this goofy promotional pen from CEDIA, handed out at WALC 2006.
It is made of clear polycarbonate (?) and has what I thought was a goofy
feature: an LED hidden inside that illuminates, mostly, the area around
the pen point on the paper.

It wasn't until I tried to take notes on an Ecuadorean intercity bus at
night that I saw the point, so to speak.  There were no reading ights on
the bus (or rather, they were disabled), so I needed a handheld light to
write.  The illuminated  pen solved this problem more conveniently and
more energy-efficiently than a separate flashlight in the other hand.
The only goofy thing about the feature is that the light is blue (hard
to focus on and hurts visibility of blue ink from other pens) rather
than red (saves night vision, more efficient).

But you could also put a little mouse camera near the end to watch
unevennesses in the paper go by in order to digitize each stroke for
later uploading, like Anoto without the pricey paper, and the LED can
serve for data sending and receiving to other devices as well as visible
signaling.  With a small electronically-controlled valve in the pen
cartridge, you could do virtual invisible ink: turn the pen on when it's
going over areas you want to color in --- and get a means of graphic
output without the expense of a display.