Here in a talk at FMCL IV, a speaker made the point that $7 billion of
Coca-Cola's yearly $14 billion income represents the value of its
trademark, its reputation.

I have a vision of a networked economy (borrowed, I think, from a
group I think is called p2pmap, the ones behind bookswelike) in which
most of our current tools for transferring economic information ---
signs, government certifications, shopping districts, newspaper ads,
etc. --- are supplanted by real-time networked information.

In this world, if you want something in a city, you advertise your
location and your desire through your wearable computer, entering into
it a preference function indicating how much you want that thing.
Other people nearby who have that something --- a ride, a hug, a hot
dog --- respond with offers; in a few seconds or minutes (depending on
the preference function's time-weighting) you find a provider with an
acceptable reputation, you walk half a block to meet them, pay them,
and receive your desire.

We already have some prototypes; in the SF Bay Area, if you want a
computer, a date, a job, an apartment, or to sell your current
computer, you spend a few minutes reading craigslist, or you post on
craigslist and get many responses within a matter of hours.
Elsewhere, many consumer goods are much more available through eBay
than through stores.  When you're traveling, you may be able to find
lodging through CouchSurfing.com or HospitalityClub.org.

This hypothetical world, if it's possible, is clearly much more
convenient and economically efficient than what we have now.

Rather than standing on a street corner for half an hour trying to
flag down a taxi, you'd find someone nearby who's already planning to
drive to the area you want to go, then split the gas expenses with
them.  Rather than spending eight hours' wages on a hotel room for a
night, you'd find someone in the area you're going to who is willing
to host you.

So in this dream of a disintermediated, hyperefficient low-friction
free market, what happens to Coca-Cola?  Presumably, you can find the
reputation of a little-known soft drink the same way you can find the
reputations of a dozen offerors of ad-hoc taxi service would also
allow you to, and the price premium you're willing to pay for the
Coca-Cola brand would diminish.