I've just been importing the change history for the Bicicleta project
(stored as a series of .tar.gz source tree snapshots, stone-age-style)
into darcs.  Often I've claimed that darcs is nice because it keeps
the user-interface excise to a minimum, compared to other
source-control systems; this is a sort of natural experience for how
small that excise really is, since I'm currently doing almost nothing
but dealing with darcs (and tar).

I've just recorded 36 changesets in 82 minutes, so the average
inter-changeset interval has been about 2.3 minutes, about 140
seconds.  This is on a project with around 1000 lines of code as of
the last changeset; the changesets I've currently committed represent
about seven nights of work over two weeks.

This 140-second excise means that darcs makes it practical to record
changesets for work units as small as half an hour.  It looks like
most of the changesets I'm currently recording represent about an hour
of work.

Some of those 140 seconds are consumed by navigating and extracting
the tar.gz snapshots, so darcs by itself is even more convenient.

Darcs rocks.

(P.S. some time after writing the above, I finished all of this
importation work, with a total of 80 changesets.  I'll push them out
soon.)