don’t people treat them like they are?] [0]”

[0]: http://www.facebook.com/jeri.ellsworth?v=feed&story_fbid=343478556355
"Facebook status, posted 2010-03-03 at 21:39"

Part of it is animal herd dynamics. Humans are social animals, and
social animals generally function according to a dominance hierarchy
that derives from physical strength, friendships and alliances, and
looking normal and healthy, not solving equations and figuring out how
to make more useful artifacts.

Part of it is cultural. We have four hundred generations of stories in
which killers are the heroes, so the notion of confident, aggressive,
violent, yet honorable heroes has much more emotional resonance than
the notion of shy, absentminded, highly-educated heroes who like to
set things on fire, tell uncomfortable truths, and violate social
customs.

The cultural mythos may be a reflection of the biological
proclivities, but at the very least, it makes them much more powerful
by giving them social sanction — unlike, say, our biological
proclivities to lie or eat unhealthy amounts of sugar.

Part of it is that nerds are heroes not because we preserve the status
quo but because we destroy it. This quote from Machiavelli is applicable:

> And it ought to be remembered that there is nothing more difficult
> to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its
> success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of
> things. Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have
> done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those
> who may do well under the new. This coolness arises partly from fear
> of the opponents, who have the laws on their side, and partly from
> the incredulity of men, who do not readily believe in new things
> until they have had a long experience of them. Thus it happens that
> whenever those who are hostile have the opportunity to attack they
> do it like partisans, whilst the others defend lukewarmly, in such
> wise that the prince is endangered along with them.

That’s all nerds do! Most people are more comfortable with things
staying the way they are than with some radical change that they can’t
control or understand. They may not wish to go back to times before
grid power, automobiles, or flintknapping (although some do!) but that
doesn’t mean they want *further* radical changes in our way of life.

Part of it is that many of us aren’t really shining examples of the
uplifting power of the Hacker Mentality. If a random person off the
street goes to hang out with some Mormons, they will generally be
impressed by their meticulous grooming, their strong work ethic, their
lack of drug addictions, their neatly cleaned houses, and the fact
that they’re mostly well-educated and, if not all rich, at least not
poor. If they go hang out with some hackers, as often as not, they
will instead be impressed by their large girth, their unconcern for
their personal health problems, the absence of pictures on their walls
or really any concession to aesthetics in their dwelling, the kludgy
repair job they did on their rust-heap car, the piles of disorganized
equipment in their garage and paper on their desk, and their social
isolation. Plus the stuff I mentioned earlier.

In theory, daily life — our physical health, the ambiance of our
dwelling spaces, the image we project to other people, although maybe
not social relations in general — should be nearly as hackable as a
poorly-specified piece of hardware, or quantum physics. (Although it
might take a higher ratio of self-discipline to smarts than the
hardware or physics.) In practice, there’s a strong tendency for
hackers to feel that these things are unimportant, or a waste of time.

Jeri Ellsworth and David Weekly are kind of exceptions to this rule, I
think.

There’s one more thing. Due largely to the work of hackers of
generations past, **we’ve been living in a post-scarcity world for
about 40 years** — in the sense that the economic production of
material necessities like food and shelter has been greater than the
world population’s needs, and growing faster. (Even in health care,
scarcity rarely rears its head; Argentina and Cuba have health-care
outcomes on par with the US, despite lacking material resources.) And
yet there is still hunger, homelessness, widespread death from
easily-treatable diseases, and even direct slaughter of groups of
people by other groups of people. So although the great promise of the
hackers of Edison’s and Ford’s and Buckminster Fuller’s generations
has been largely realized, the world has become somewhat disillusioned
with it, because it has become increasingly clear that Progress and
Development can continue while leaving behind the masses.

Nerds can sure figure stuff out, but whether that benefits humanity as
a whole generally isn’t in the hands of the nerds, because business
and political leaders generally control what problems the nerds try to
solve and whether their solutions get applied. Is it any wonder that
the people look to the leaders instead of the nerds for their heroes?
Are they really wrong to do so? For the internet, should we honor Paul
Baran or Al Gore?