From: KRnet [mailto:krnet-bounces at list.krnet.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Scott
Sent: March-28-13 3:09 PM
To: Craig Williams; KRnet
Subject: Re: KR> the aging of glass cloth

<http://www.sweetcomposites.com/Fabric.html>  towards the bottom of the page
titles "Glass Finishes".

SWEET COMPOSITES
6211 RIDGE DRIVE, BETHESDA, MD 20816-2641 USA
301-229-2201     [9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET]

These guys are right down the road from you in Bethesda, MD, so you might want
to stop by and talk to them in person.  If you read my previous post, you would
see that the sizing is cleaned from the cloth after weaving.  Then the cloth is
treated with Silane to enhance bonding with the glass resins.  The Silane does
have a shelf life which can be shorter or longer depending on the conditions of
storage.

This doesn't mean that you should toss out all your old glass cloth.  But you
might want to use something with a recent manufacture date if you are building
a structural component.  Strictly speaking, the majority of the glass work you
will do on your KR is not structural.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the older
glass cloths for most of what we do.  Most structural components in the KR are
constructed of wood.  Even the wing and tail surfaces are not really considered
structural components as the load bearing is done with wood spars that are
bonded to a wooden fuselage.

Now, if you are doing something that's really a one off for a KR, like building
your spars out of glass, then the age of the glass would be important.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM

please see other KRnet info at http://www.krnet.org/info.html see