I've got some experience with the GO-300 on a Cessna 175, as well as
having had discussions with people familiar with 175s as owners.

The consensus is that the problem is not with that engine, but with
operating technique.  If the GO-300 is operated at the rpms of an
ungeared engine, such as 2700 rpm, it tends to overheat, thus needing
cylinder replacement.  Operated at >2900 rpm, the engine is quite
comfortable, and overheating does not occur, and it is, IMO, reliable.

Pilots who are used to ungeared engines cringe at those figures, because
that is far above familiar redlines, so they try to operate it at
ungeared engine speeds, such well below 2700 rpm.  That's a costly
mistake, and it gave the 175 what I consider an undeservedly poor
reputation.   That has made the 175 cheaper than they deserve to be.

Operated correctly, the consensus is that the engine usually makes TBO.
Of course, there are a lot of other factors that influence reaching TBO,
but low rpm operation definitely reduces it on that engine.

BTW, because it was swinging an 84" prop that was possible because the
gearbox was atop the engine and gave greater ground clearance, it sure
helped performance on the Cessna 175.  It matched the performance of a
175 that had been converted to a Lycoming 0-360 with, as I remember it,
a constant speed prop.  Having a 6 instead of a 4 also meant smoother
operation.

A bigger prop doesn't necessarily mean more efficient operation, nor
does a constant speed prop, because there are a lot of variables (added
weight is one of them).  The 175 had the prop sized and geared right for
the engine and airframe by Cessna engineers.