On May 31, 2013, at 9:00 AM, krnet-request at list.krnet.org wrote:

>  Does anyone have any info on cooling
> the VW oil sump? _________________

I have seen special enlarged and fined oil  sumps for additional oil cooling
for VW engines  in shops that specialize in equipment for Dune Buggies.
Probably their products are available on-line. Have no idea whether they help
or not.  I had a type 4 engine that ran high oil temps on hot days here in
Southern AZ and the my cure was a second oil cooler. The additional capacity of
the enlarged sump appealed to me that the same bit of oil had additional "wait"
time before it was circulated into the heat source of the engine again. The
extra sump  wouldn't fit the Type 4 engine so I was not able to try it with off
the shelf parts. I did consider building an additional oil tank that would hold
maybe another 5 quarts and perhaps help with my cooling problems. The second
oil cooler was simpler and worked well.

John Milland