Dan Heath wrote:

>>So, what is the advantage of using a gascolator over a fuel filter that
filters out water.  I eliminated my gascolator.  Have I set myself up for
some real trouble?<<

I put two different filters on N56ML, one coarse on the way into the fuel
pump and a much finer one on the way to the carb.  I didn't have a
gascolator either because I just didn't have room for it and they didn't
make a high pressure version back then (that I know of).  In 1130 hours of
flying, the only thing I ever found on the outside of the filter were a few
"hairs" of outer fuel hose insulation.  I did have a water drain on my main
fuel tank, but (and I shouldn't admit this out loud), the first time I used
it was the last, because it got stuck open, I'd epoxied it directly into the
tank rather than into a fitting, and I was forced to seal it forever if I
wanted to keep any fuel in the tank.  That's one of those things that I
would "fix later", and never did.  Having said that, I never found a single
drop of water in my fuel filters, nor ever had other water related issues.
BUT, that's because I was very lucky, and always bought my fuel at the same
store, and fortunately they are good about keeping their tanks free of water
and clean filters on the pumps.

My wife pulled into a gas station 25 years ago driving her fuel injected
Rabbit, and after filling up she only made it about a mile before the engine
quit.  The fuel filter was soaked with water and trash, and was clogged to
the point that the engine got no fuel.  That's where gascolators come in
very handy...by separating that stuff out, letting it collect on the bottom,
and you can easily drain it and sample what's going on every time you
preflight (assuming your drain is conveniently located near the lower cowl
opening).  You can do it either way, but there's luck involved in the
"filter-only" method.  The gascolator is a great first line of defense, with
the filter as a secondary.  I agree that "regular" bail type gascolators can
be prone to leaking, but the high pressure ACS gascolator should be a much
better bet.

>From my experience, small town airports pump more water and sediment than
you'll ever see in the automotive world.  I guess they figure we all have
gascolators and will catch it before we fly.

See enclosed photo for N891JF gascolator installation.  It's easily drained
with a fuel tube with the cowling installed.  This is far easily than
disassembling the filter to check for debris and water, which I only
bothered to do at condition inspection time, once per year!  I'll fly more
confidently with this installation.  Hose will be firesleeved as soon as the
totalizer is added.

Having said all of this, I put a lot of hours on N56ML with nothing but
filters, and it worked out OK.  I do suspect some good karma was involved,
however.

Trying my best to get the panel installed in the plane this weekend, and
then on to sensor installation on the engine.  Still probably two months
away from flying this thing though...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com