I've rattled the rudder and elevator of almost every KR that's been parked
at a Gathering in the last 20 years, and some of the high-timers have as
much as 3/16" of slop back there.  Probably the worst is a high-time KR2
that's famous for pulling high-G maneuvers while flying with a passenger
above the gross weight design limits.  Having seen him do this and get away
with it makes me think that the stock hinges are probably sufficient,
however.

I am a fan of the oil impregnated bushings though.  They are cheap, will
definitely last longer than steel-on-aluminum, and are easy to install.  I'm
not sure if my website says this, but I used a piece of 1/4" Nylaflow tubing
as a spacer on the  inside to ensure the sleeved (non-flanged) bushings
didn't slide out of the inside aluminum angle, even though they were also
locked in place with Loctite sleeve retainer.

As for the extra hinges, I did that because I made my horizontal stabilizer
and rudder are longer, and later heard that the Aussie government was
requiring the same for KR builders down under.  Of course if they're
anything like the Brits, it could be overkill!  I do suspect that 3/16"
bolts are overkill, perhaps chosen in an effort to keep all the nuts and
bolts in the same "family", like 5/8" x 5/8" spruce that is also ubiquitous
in the KRs.  #8's could probably be used, but then the bearing area on the
aluminum would be smaller and the hinges would wear even faster.  You could
then add bushings, but then you'd be almost as heavy as with #10 bolts
anyway.

Bottom line is that if money is a big factor, aluminum seems to work. A look
at some of the old tube and fabric airplanes will amaze you at what works
for a hinge back there.  I don't remember anybody fluttering a KR elevator.
Speaking of that, Troy Petteway "un"-balanced his elevator when he rebuilt
his tail with longer surfaces, yet continued to burn up the sky at well over
200 mph with impunity.  So there's some more weight in the tail that can
probably go away...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com