Subject: Re: KR> 2013 KR Gathering Trip - Very Long Story.
From: "Dan Heath" <danrh at windstream.net>
Date: Wed, February 12, 2014 2:53 pm
To: "'KRnet'" <krnet at list.krnet.org>

I am not sure why the engine quit, but I have a guess at it. I went
around
several times trying to land and after having had the engine quit, at
another time, when on a lean setting and giving throttle to go around, I
realized that I should have had it on rich to be pushing in the throttle
quickly. So, on my first approach, I put the mixture to rich, and left
it
there. I think that by pulling back to idle on each attempt with the
mixture rich, the plugs had loaded up, so when the airspeed got really
low
upon getting the wheels on the ground, there was not enough air passing
over
the prop to keep it running at that low throttle setting and the plugs
had
probably loaded up with too much lead. I won't make that mistake again.
often wonder, how many mistakes is a person allowed before it is all
over?

Given the high winds, I could have landed under power at around 100 mph
airspeed and still touched down under 80 ground speed and been perfectly
safe. I think physical exhaustion played a part in it, having not gotten
much rest for two days and then making the long trip. I was worn out.
There is a lot to this flying thing that we don't always think about. I
hope I live long enough, I am over 70, to get it figured out.

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics

Peoples Choice at 2013 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il ? MVN
Best KR at 2013 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il ? MVN
Best Interior at 2013 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il ? MVN
Best Paint at 2013 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il ? MVN
Best Firwwall Forward at 2013 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il ? MVN

Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC