James,

I'm based at Los Alamos, about 50 miles north of you with a runway elevation of
7171'. ?I assume you are based at Double Eagle?

If you have been flying other planes out of AEG, you already know what you need
to know about flying at higher DA. ?The plane will use more runway on take off
and landing, but will do it quite easily with the runway lengths at AEG. ?The
same indicated air speeds apply as at any other altitude. ?Just be aware that
your ground speeds are significantly higher.

If I am looking for a smooth landing by letting the plane gently settle onto
the mains for a wheel landing, I'll burn up 3000 or 4000' of runway if I don't
use any braking. ?As pertaining to the other thread about landings, if you
control your speed closely for a three point short field landing, you can put
it down and be stopped in less than 2500'.

For take off, if I am flying at 1200# gross on a 10,000' DA day, I'll use
roughly 2500' of runway getting off the ground. ?My normal take off method is
to keep the tail pinned down until I see 40 mph indicated, which is when I have
good rudder authority to counter significant crosswinds, then raise the tail
for better visibility down the runway until I see 60 mph IAS. ?That's my
rotation speed that gives me a good buffer above stall, so I can immediately
establish a good climb. ?The plane is capable of getting off shorter using
short field take off techniques. ?

Your numbers may be different due to a different wing and/or air speed
calibration, but the principles are the same.

Per your questions:
1. Yes, DA degrades both engine and wing performance. ?That's why the runways
are so long at higher altitude airports like ours.
2. Same indicated air speeds apply regardless of DA. ?It's the True Air Speed
that is different.
3. Yes, the air is less dense, but you are also in ground effect, so you get
good compressibility against the ground. ?This isn't something I have noticed
in 1000+ hrs in my KR flying up here. ?There are no days where the DA is too
high for my KR. ?I have flown with the DA as high as 11,000' and I don't make
hard landings. :o)

Compared to the Vari-Eze and Long-Eze, the KR doesn't use nearly as much runway
at the high DA airports.

Drop me an email some weekend when the winds aren't howling and I'll run down
to AEG in the KR for breakfast (always looking for a breakfast destination).
?Or I can come pick you up in the SuperCub and show you Los Alamos, which would
make you really appreciate the multiple runways at AEG. ?:o)

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM
http://jeffsplanes.com