From: KRnet [mailto:krnet-bounces at list.krnet.org] On Behalf Of smwood
Sent: 26 March, 2014 7:34 PM
To: krnet at list.krnet.org
Subject: Re: KR> Gap between counterweight

The gap around the aileron counter weight on my KR-2 is 1/4-inch at the
closest point where the weight comes through the wing skin.  The arm goes
through the middle of the trailing aux spar; closest clearance on the arm is

1/8-inch.  The counter weights are flatter and wider than the plans to keep
more inside the upper and lower skins.  On the bottom skin I put a small
fairing to cover the hole on each wing.  The fairings are just big enough to

permit the counter weight to go past the bottom skin line and not contact
the fairing during full aileron deflection ( plus 10, minus 20 degrees).
Clearance at full deflection is 1/8-inch.  A 1/8-inch hole in the bottom of
the fairing allows water to drain.  My thought was a fairing sticking out
would be better than a gapping hole as far as aerodynamic streamlining.
Don't know if the drain holes whistle.
BTW the F-18 models E,F & G have a series of several hundred open small
holes around the perimeter of the jet engine air inlets. If you are curious
why, contact me off-line.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

> Kr friends.
> I was wondering how many space you all have between the counterweight And
> the egde of the hole in the aft of the aft spar. To prevent a aileron jam
> I am thinking about 10 mm space around it.
> Wat do you guys have ?
> Thanks
>
> Stef.

options