I have spent a lot of time and effort working on cooling and cooling drag on my
KR. ?At the last gathering, most probably didn't notice the cowl flap in the
trailing edge of the lower cowl. ?

I started with the same cowl as Larry except over a C-85, but didn't close up
the cowl inlets. The back left cylinder tended to run hot during a hard climb,
but otherwise the cooling was more than adequate, although quite uneven. ?At
350 hours, I replaced the C-85 with an O-200. ?In order to accommodate the
larger oil tank on the O-200, I had to push the outlet area out a bit larger.
?My cooling was awesome during a hard climb, but the engine ran too cold at
cruise. ?I was seeing one CHT drop down to 175?F at full throttle under cruise
conditions. ?I started installing covers on the cylinders to move the air
around and even out the cooling. ?That worked pretty well, but the engine still
was running too cold. ?

About a year ago, I topped the engine and changed to 8.5:1 compression pistons
and electronic ignition (E-mag). ?I knew the advance on the electronic ignition
would generate quite a bit higher CHTs at the altitudes I fly (7000' -
14,000'), but I also wanted to reduce the cooling drag as the lower cowl had
quite a bell shape to it that had to be creating a significant amount of drag.
?The problem was how to keep the engine cool during a climb. ?

I ended up cutting the bottom of the cowl off and replaced the bell shape with
a flat bottom. ?Then to ensure I had adequate cooling during climb, I added a
cowl flap to the trailing edge of the lower cowl. ?I had enough motion in the
trim servo I used that I decided to build it so I could open it roughly 3" like
a normal cowl flap, close it to a streamlined position in line with the rest of
the cowl, and a third position where the cowl flap is retracted roughly 2" up
inside the back of the cowl to cut down the air flow around the oil tank,
originally intended for wintertime use.

What I expected was a bit more drag than before with the cowl flap deployed and
less drag than before with it in the streamlined position, and no change from
the streamlined position to the retracted position. ?But what I found was, the
more I could close off the air flow from the cowl, the lower the drag and
faster the plane flies. ?Retracting the cowl flap into the cowl lowered the
drag and I was able to fly faster than with the cowl flap in the streamlined
position. ?I found that my cooling is barely adequate for the left rear
cylinder during climb with full advance in the ignition, but under cruise
conditions, the engine still runs a bit on the cool side with the CHTs at 300?F
across all 4, or 275?F during the winter operations. ?However the cowl flap and
ignition advance gave me better control over the oil temp so now during
wintertime ops the oil temp is running warm enough to keep the moisture boiled
out of the oil.

The point is that your KRs are capable of a pretty significant range of speed.
?Engineering your cooling for cruise may create a situation where you can't
adequately cool the engine during a hard climb. ?Or engineering your cooling
for climb may generate too much drag and over-cool the engine during cruise.
?It's a real challenge to get your cooling tuned to work well under all
circumstances. ?Admittedly, I added a level of complexity to my plane by going
to the spark advancing electronic ignition, and I fly my KR under more
challenging conditions than most others see, so I often run into issues most
other builders won't see.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM