 From: Mark Langford via KRnet <krnet at list.krnet.org>
To: 'KRnet' <krnet at list.krnet.org>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: KR> brake problem at Barnwell

Larry Bell wrote:

     >>You have given us some outstanding ideas on building, so looking at
those brakes surprises me. The disks look very thin which wouldn't give much
heat transfer<<

Don?t think it was my idea to install these?they were on the plane when I
bought it, and was told by the builder that they worked fine.  I suspect he had
a much longer runway though!  I was trying not to spend a fortune on this
?fixer-upper?, and if what was there worked, why would I replace it?  They
certainly didn?t work when I bought it though, which is why I completely
rebuilt them before I flew it again (once I got it home).  See
http://www.n56ml.com/n891jf/brakes/ for more on that, but I?m missing some
photos that I need to add one of these days, along with some ?fried? ones to
finish up the story.

The disk you see in the photo is the brake pad backing plate (minus the
shredded pad and rivets)?the actual disk is much thicker, and connected to the
aluminum wheel, which provides some cooling for the disk, but it can?t handle
?hard? braking for even five seconds, apparently.  These are enclosed in wheel
pants too, so that?s another factor?

--
Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com