There are a lot of halon like materials. The datacenter I used to help run
used another air displacement system. I'll look up the brand shortly.
Halotron I think it was.  It's a hydrocarbon, and it's evaporation and gas
displacment work for smothering, cooling, and displacing :-)

Being in the room when the system goes off, is.. uh.. unpleasant.  But so
long as things don't hit you, or a rack get blown down onto you, you're
safe.  The air becomes hard to breathe, but not deadly.  (provided the
system is sized properly for the volume at hand)  "you" can survive in
lower o2 partial pressures than materials need to burn.  :-)